right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

is it easier to get accepted into a newly established masters program?

kate9090kate9090 1 replies1 threads New Member
Hello! So I am currently applying to Mount Sinai's new MAster's Healthcare Administration that is launching in 2020. I was wondering if my chances are higher since it's their first year or is the case the complete opposite?
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: is it easier to get accepted into a newly established masters program?

• juilletjuillet 12708 replies162 threads Super Moderator
    Maybe, maybe not. On the one hand, new programs are untested and sometimes fewer people apply; sometimes, too, programs loosen their requirements as they build the program and figure things out as they go along.

However, it's equally possible that the program is being spun up in an area that's hot and there's already a shortage of programs, meaning instant competition. Or a program might be started in a new subfield but a field the school is already strong in. Mount Sinai is well known for prowess in medicine and health, so a healthcare administration program at the school is appealing.

The thing is...does it really matter? If you think the program is a good fit for you and you're competitive with the stats the program is asking for, then you should apply!
    · Reply · Share
  • kate9090kate9090 1 replies1 threads New Member
    Thank you for the encouragement! however the issue is that my gpa is not where i wished it would be. And I explained that thoroughly in my statement to them. however I have experience volunteering and I have great letters of rec. so hopefully that brightens my chances.
    · Reply · Share