right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Is a PhD for Computer Science at WashU in St Louis a valuable offer. How strong is my application?

statecollegekidstatecollegekid 28 replies13 threads Junior Member
edited January 8 in Graduate School
I received a PhD offer at WashU in St Louis after my REU advisor recommended me and gave me an accelerated application. I am thinking about going to industry for a few years as I also have a job offer (Amazon). Is this PhD offer something I could attain again, could I go higher, or would I only get into worse schools upon reparation in a few years. I have a 3.43 GPA from a reputable LAC, 3.55 in CS, and an REU under my belt. As well as a 2nd Place award for a large research poster presentation competition at WashU, and some other research experience and TAing. How strong would this application be down the line.
edited January 8
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is a PhD for Computer Science at WashU in St Louis a valuable offer. How strong is my application?

• statecollegekidstatecollegekid 28 replies13 threads Junior Member
    reapplication in a few years*
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 30017 replies181 threads Senior Member
    Those are all good questions to discuss with your advisor. It is terrific that your advisor feels that you are ready for a PhD program now. But there is nothing wrong with working for a year or two before heading off to grad school.

You also could ask Wash U if it is possible to defer enrollment in the PhD program. Sometimes that is possible.
    · Reply · Share
  • juilletjuillet 12724 replies162 threads Super Moderator
    Generally speaking, if you were able to get into graduate school once, you should be able to get in again. Your profile looks like the sort of average CS PhD graduate, and CS is not one of those academic fields that is super tight.

I have a PhD (in a social sciences field) and I work in tech. My personal advice to students is that if they are truly undecided between a PhD and a job, they should probably take the job. A PhD takes a tremendous amount of dedication and focus, but also is a credential for a very specific kind of job: research. It's possible to really like research and even use a lot of what you learned about conducting research in a different career.

What would you like to do for a career? Are you interested in a research career?
    · Reply · Share