right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Chances for Graduate School Admission (Chemistry PhD)

chembcchembc 0 replies1 threads New Member
Hi, I was wondering about my chances for admissions to graduate school for a PhD in chemistry. I'm aiming for more prestigious schools (UC Berkeley, CalTech, Scripps, Princeton, etc.). I'm mainly worried about my GPA while I think my research experience is good. My ultimate goal is to pursue professorship and tenure.

Major GPA: 3.6

Overall GPA: 3.6

Research Experience: 2 years in my current institution, 1 year at my old community college. I have a first-author publications in a low-impact journal and may be working on my next project next semester (depending on my school's COVID-19 policies). I have no publications from my old community college, but I gave two oral presentations and one poster presentation at various conferences/symposiums.

I received three grants (interdeparmental) to perform summer research throughout my undegrad career.

My current PI is well-known/respected in his field, and I want to pursue this same field in my graduate studies. My publication is also in this field.

GRE: I will take the general and subject GRE's. I expect to do average but may do better. I am unsure about the importance of these scores to my application.

Miscellaneous: I am an underrepresented minority (not sure whether that is relevant in admissions). I'm also applying for a scholarship from the American Chemical Society.
0 replies
· Reply · Share