Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Psychology PhD program

GreenGirrlGreenGirrl Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
edited January 2005 in Graduate School
Any suggestions for a program that would consider a student with good experience /research , great GRE score, but only about 3.0 GPA (very good improvment in last 2 years)?

Thanks
Post edited by GreenGirrl on

Replies to: Psychology PhD program

• averagemathgeekaveragemathgeek Registered User Posts: 265 Junior Member
    Florida Institute of Technology's I/O Psychology department (PhD program ranks third nationally) recommends a 3.2 GPA; you are pretty close to that. I am a math undergrad at FIT, so I am a little biased.
  • mol10emol10e Registered User Posts: 445 Member
    Your best bet would be to have the faculty that did the research with you, use their contacts in graduate programs to get you in. If they are willing to make personal connections with faculty at their graduate alma mater or professional colleagues at other programs, this would go a long way to avoid the immediate rejection that comes when you don't meet minimum GPA or GRE levels. A second approach would be to find other psychologists who are doing research in the areas that you have worked in and apply to those programs with a personal letter to that faculty member explaining your circumstances. Graduate faculty need grad students to make their research programs function and if you have experience in their area, they are likely to weight that highly in supporting your application.
This discussion has been closed.