Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Fourth tier to top school.

bloodmobilebloodmobile Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited July 2007 in Graduate School
I attend UNLV. Basically, I'm wondering if it is at all possible for a graduate from a fourth tier university to be accepted from any of the top schools for graduate study?
Post edited by bloodmobile on

Replies to: Fourth tier to top school.

• kollegkidkollegkid Registered User Posts: 1,007 Senior Member
    Go for it. How are your GREs and GPA?
  • merper68merper68 Registered User Posts: 430 Member
    In this case, GPA won't matter much, considering the 4th tier status. GRE will be somewhat useful, but it alone won't get you in. Basically what you need is significant research experience or a rec from someone well known who says you can perform well. I don't know your major, but you may also want to consider doing a MA at a top 50 program, which is still possible with a good GPA, and then going for a PhD at a top program afterwards.
  • molliebatmitmolliebatmit Registered User Posts: 12,374 Senior Member
    Of course it's possible. It's difficult, of course, but possible.
  • VolscioVolscio Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    You have to at least try.
  • Jason1117Jason1117 Registered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
    UNLA is a decent school
    top schools want top students,not students from top undergraduate schools
  • Jason1117Jason1117 Registered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
    I know a student graduated from an average university in China(not even top 100 Chinese Universities),got accepted to Stanford(master program)without financial aids.
  • rogracerrogracer Registered User Posts: 1,205 Senior Member
    We had two interns at work from a "3rd or 4th tier" undergraduate school who both got full assistantship packages to MIT...so yes, it is very possible. I endlessly repeat that these boards way overemphasize the importance of attending a "top ranked" undergraduate school...at least for engineering.
  • txinternationaltxinternational Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    I think that it's definitely possible to get into a top masters program regardless of which school you go to for undergrad. It would probably help you to do really well on the GRE and to have good internships/research experience if possible.
  • Phoenix WrightPhoenix Wright Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    Anyone who tells you you can't get into a specific graduate school based on your alma mater knows nothing about graduate admissions.
  • bloodmobilebloodmobile Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Wow, thank you all for your replies. I'm most definitely going to give it a shot. Thank you again!
This discussion has been closed.