Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Big 10+ Grad School Expo

CthefluteCtheflute Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
edited July 2007 in Graduate School
Is anyone familiar with the Big 10+ Grad School Expo held at Purdue? I'm wondering whether it would be something valuable for me to attend. I'm planning to apply for PhD programs in Biomedical Engineering this fall, and several of the schools that I'm interested in will be represented at the Expo. Is the opportunity to meet admissions reps and learn about funding opportunities very valuable? (worth missing a day of classes and a 6 hr drive?)
Post edited by Ctheflute on

Replies to: Big 10+ Grad School Expo

• WilliamCWilliamC Registered User Posts: 785 Member
    Probably not worth a 6 hour drive unless you can set up one-on-one interviews. They have these graduate school recruiting events at most major universities - they basically have a big room full of people sitting at tables handing out flyers. The picture on their front page pretty much says it all:

http://www.gradschool.purdue.edu/gradexpo/

Buy yourself a copy of "Getting What You Came For", read it, then schedule some office hours visits. Your professors will be able to give you more and better advice in 15 minutes than you'll get all day at one of these recruiting fairs. they will know your abilities, where you stand a reasonable chance of admission, and all the tricks of getting funded (if that is even a consideration in your field - usually the grad school, university, or advisor controls that, not the student.)
  • CthefluteCtheflute Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    Thanks, that was my impression too (and now that the schedule is actually posted on their website, I know for sure that my impression was correct).

Thanks for the advice on the book too...I'm sure that will have some great advice for me
  • cathymeecathymee Registered User Posts: 2,384 Senior Member
    WilliamC's advice is spot on...D read that book upon advice of a mentor and used her undergrad dept as advisors/contacts...the process worked perfectly for her (Humanities though).
This discussion has been closed.