Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Grad classes in new concentration

urrjunurrjun Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
edited July 2007 in Graduate School
I am starting grad school for biomedical engineering next fall, and I will probably be going into a new concentration. My undergrad focus was on cell/tissue engineering, and I am looking to go much more into computational modeling/signal processing for grad school.

I had 1-2 classes that were remotely EE/CS related in my major, and I am curious as to how tough it will be to start grad-level classes in this area. I am not worried about failing out or anything (although I do have to maintain a 3.5 to keep my RA funding). Is there any way they help people get up to speed in grad school?
Post edited by urrjun on

Replies to: Grad classes in new concentration

• WilliamCWilliamC Registered User Posts: 785 Member
    By "next fall" do you mean "fall 2007" or "fall 2008"?

If the latter, you have plenty of time to acquire some background.

In either case, you might want to contact your department and find out what will be expected the first year. I would expect that "help" would be in the form of additional required classes (possibly at the senior undergrad. level) to make up for any percieved deficiencies.

DO NOT expect to be told exactly what you'll need to do. You're expected to be smart enough to figure out what you need and then get all the appropriate permissions, forms, and signoffs to make it happen.
  • urrjunurrjun Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    I meant Fall 2007...I'm also pretty sure I am not missing any prerequisites; I was just talking in terms of being in a class where the majority have a really solid EE background compared to my 2 classes.
This discussion has been closed.