Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Clinton School of Public Service

camper89camper89 Registered User Posts: 334 Member
edited August 2007 in Graduate School
Does anyone know anything about this school and the degree it offers? According to the school, they are the only ones in the nation to offer the Master of Public Service degree. How does this differ from a traditional public policy degree and is it worth getting? I'd also like to kinda see the perceived reputation of the school (it's fairly new so I haven't been able to find a lot of outside critique on it).
Post edited by camper89 on

Replies to: Clinton School of Public Service

• JCCortJCCort Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    Is this being offered at the University of AR - Little Rock?
  • camper89camper89 Registered User Posts: 334 Member
    its offered through main campus in fayetteville, though the school itself is in little rock.
    bump. any input greatly appreciated.
  • txinternationaltxinternational Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    Hmmm, well, I know that Texas A&M offers a Masters in Public Service and Administration, although I'm not sure how similar it is to the Clinton School's program.

I looked at the Clinton School's website and it looks like it doesn't require as much quantitative and economic work as most of the Public Policy programs I've looked at. It's also a 3 semester program, whereas I think most other MPP programs require 4 semesters. I also didn't see any info about the elective courses, like course descriptions, so it's hard to know what all they cover.

Anyhoo, those are the differences I noted when I checked out their website.
    I'd rather not do any program at A&M. Not too big a fan of joining cults and all (kidding).
  • txinternationaltxinternational Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    haha, I definitely hear you on not wanting to join the A&M cult. I went to UT, but I did apply to the Bush School at A&M and I had a favorable impression of it after visiting and attending an interview conference there. The Bush School is over off in a corner of the campus, well away from most other buildings on campus, so I think that you can choose to ignore the undergrad/cult part of the school if you want.

When I mentioned that A&M had a program in Public Service and Administration in my previous post, I just wanted to show that there's at least one other school that has a program in Public Service. I'm certainly not here to promote A&M and I'm sorry if I gave that impression.
  • JGuzzardiJGuzzardi Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I am actually one of the new students at the Clinton School (Class 3).

I might be able to answer some questions.

The main difference between the Public Service degree and the other PA and PP degrees is that PS offered at the Clinton School is much more practical than any of the other options. On your first semester, you have the core classes, which are listed on the school's website. On the second semester, you take your electives at any of the universities in the University of Arkansas System (a faculty member will help you select those classes), and you will also work on a Practicum group project in the Delta Region of Arkansas. In the summer, you go to an International Service Project, and on your last semester or year (you can graduate in a year and a half or two years), you work on your individual capstone project. There is information about all of this in the school's website as well.

If you are interested, I can give you the contact information for the Director of Student Services and she can forward you more information.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jose
This discussion has been closed.