Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

GRE Disaster!

masmaha1234masmaha1234 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
edited July 2007 in Graduate School
Ok, I just got back from taking the GRE...however, the testing center was miserable. Not once, but TWICE, the power went out during the middle of my verbal test, and stayed out for almost an hour. When the power came back on, we started from where we left off. I really think it (a) really screwed up my scores and (b) screwed up my concentration. The staff weren't really helpful either ( they had no idea what was going on). Before I left, I was told by the staff to contact the testing headquarters for any complaints, etc. My thinking is that the scores should be cancelled, and I should be allowed to retake the test for free. Am I being reasonable?
Post edited by masmaha1234 on

Replies to: GRE Disaster!

• Professor XProfessor X Registered User Posts: 893 Member
    Yes, you are being reasonable.

A student of mine once took the GRE and was given a chair that collapsed mid-exam. She took the rest of the test squatting, since there was not another available chair. She complained, and rightfully so. Unfortunately, I do not recall the eventual disposition of her complaint.

But in my opinion, you definitely have grounds upon which to request score cancellation, and a free re-examination.
  • masmaha1234masmaha1234 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    k, problem solved...test rescheduled; scores cancelled all for free. Let's just hope this time the power stays on!
This discussion has been closed.