Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

GRE Score Goals??

mchurchwmchurchw Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
edited July 2007 in Graduate School
This coming fall I will be an undergrad senior, majoring in History. I'm planning to take a year off, and then head back to school for my master's degree. I'm aiming for Western Washington U for History/Archives Management. I have plenty of time to study for the GRE. What kind of score should I be aiming for? I just took one of the ETS practice tests, and got 600 verbal and 730 quantitative. I got 1480 on the SAT (old version).
Post edited by mchurchw on

Replies to: GRE Score Goals??

• Phoenix WrightPhoenix Wright Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    I'm not sure about the specifics for Western Washington U, but, seeing as you are a history major, it is a little odd that your quantitative score is much higher than your verbal score. In any case, you aim for maybe ~50 points higher than that for verbal and you should be fine. Either way, you're doing pretty good.
  • 14_of_spades14_of_spades Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    1480 on the old SAT is like 1550 on the new SAT. if u can get >1500 on the SATs, there's no reason you can't aim for the same on the GREs.

i too took the old SAT. when i wrote the GRE (though i studied for this, whereas i didn't study at all for the SAT - i didn't even know what those anology questions were), my combined went up 210 points. considering i scored >1350 on the old SAT, my GRE score ended up being very high.
  • DespSeekPhdDespSeekPhd Registered User Posts: 991 Member
    The GRE and SAT aren't really comparable, because the verbal on the GRE is much tougher and the math on the GRE is much easier.
This discussion has been closed.