Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How do chances work for grad school?

mchurchwmchurchw Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
edited July 2007 in Graduate School
I'm used to undergrad, where it was very easy to tell your chances at a specific school based on GPA and SAT scores. How would I go about figuring out my chances for specific grad school programs?
Post edited by mchurchw on

Replies to: How do chances work for grad school?

• Professor XProfessor X Registered User Posts: 893 Member
    In most fields, you cannot figure out your chances in the same way you did for undergrad admissions.

Perhaps the very best way is to ask your professors. They know your work, and your potential to succeed in grad school. They will also be best able to recommend programs for you, given your specific subfield of intended specialization. (Graduate admissions is about your FIT with the subspecializations of the faculty.)

In some disciplines, however, there is information available about the average GRE scores of accepted applicants to certain programs. (This information is more commonly available in the hard sciences.) Just look at the websites of the programs (the departments, NOT the universities) to which you wish to apply.
This discussion has been closed.