Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

April 15 problem

ngatamatoangatamatoa Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited July 2007 in Graduate School
Here's the situation...

I applied to school a (preferred school) and school b (fall back), and was accepted to both. Both also offered assistantships, but school b's offer was more than twice school a's offer. Unhappily, I accepted school b's offer strictly out of financial need.

April 15 passed...fast forward to mid-July. School A came back with a fellowship offer. This is not a difficult decision; however, I'm required to obtain a written release from my school b commitment before I can accept the fellowship from school a.

I have not done anything unethical IMO, but I'm worried about school b busting my chops and so on. What's the best way to go about getting a release from school b and what kind of scenarios can I expect?

Thanks,

ngatamatoa
Post edited by ngatamatoa on

Replies to: April 15 problem

  • emengeeemengee Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    I don't know anybody who has gone through this, but it seems as though the school should be okay letting you leave because why would they want to have a student attending their program if the student doesn't want to go? It just doesn't make sense. Just make sure to be honest with them about the entire situation, and hopefully it'll all be fine.
  • larationalistlarationalist Registered User Posts: 916 Member
    I would first let school A know verbally that you have every intention of accepting their offer, but must first obtain your release from school B. Only then would I contact school B and request the release. They shouldn't really have a big problem with it- sure, they'll say that they're sorry to see you go, they may try to talk you into staying- but if you just sit through that uncomfortable conversation and maintain your stance, they shouldn't really have a problem with givnig you the release. The whole release thing is mainly just to keep people from double-committing.
  • ngatamatoangatamatoa Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello,

    For those of you who may have similar problems, I got it taken care of. I just faxed the department I wanted a release of commitment from and they gave me a release letter without fuss. Just keep after them if you want the release in a hurry.

    Thanks all...
This discussion has been closed.