Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Uniformed Services University

belevittbelevitt Registered User Posts: 2,005 Senior Member
edited October 2013 in Graduate School
I have a cousin who is doing his Phd at the Uniformed Services University in Bethesda, Md. Does anybody know anything about this? Obviously, I checked their website but I was wondering if anybody had any first [or second hand] knowledge of the institution (as far as biomedical sciences go). What is the general impression people have of this institution? How similar/dissimilar is it to a traditional university? Is it completely dominated by the military presence? My cousin has a skewed view of academia and I am wondering if the place he chose for grad school is legitimate.
Post edited by belevitt on

Replies to: Uniformed Services University

• AceflyerAceflyer Registered User Posts: 252 Junior Member
    Seems to be legit. It's ranked 122 by US News [1].

[1]
  • DrugsRFunDrugsRFun Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    My current PI got his graduate degree there. He is doing very well now, but also had an excellent post-doc that propelled him up the ranks. I had asked him about his experiences when I started the application process, and he basically said not to even consider the school (although I wasn't anyhow). His general feelings were that it's an a great choice if you are in the military, or trading education for service time through some government program. Otherwise, it's not really a logical place to go.
  • shulihanshulihan Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My s was considering apply for the USU, but gave it up in the end since a big portion of the application asks military type of questions. He did not go to any academy for his undergraduate, so thought he was not a good fit.
  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,550 Super Moderator
    This thread is four years old.
This discussion has been closed.