Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

GRE: History Major

northbeachnorthbeach Registered User Posts: 864 Member
edited January 2014 in GRE Prep
Any tips for finding an online example of a GRE for History Majors? Wondering about the Mathematics section, is there one? I really have never seen a GRE test, and there seem to be different tests for different majors.

Any tips from people who have taken the new format GRE will be helpful. Thanks a million.
Post edited by northbeach on

Replies to: GRE: History Major

• franko5150franko5150 Registered User Posts: 689 Member
    I am a history major as well. From what I've seen there is no difference in the GRE tests. It appears that when you submit your GRE test they are focusing on your ability to read, write, and vocabulary since those are the qualities they look for in prospective history graduate students.
  • northbeachnorthbeach Registered User Posts: 864 Member
    Thanks for the reply.
  • tesIIItesIII Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    The GRE is a reasoning test like the SAT. It creates a bell curve in people's ability to do well on it not by taking you to the limits of your knowledge (it stays very much at the core of your knowledge) but by bombarding you with simple-seeming tricky questions that instill in most people an irresistible urge to choose the wrong answer. Cocking up positive and negative numbers, jumping to conclusions about something the writer meant to say but didn't say, etc. You can miss, like, 2 questions per section and still get a perfect (depending, to be honest, on a LOT of other stuff), and I think if you miss about half the questions, that puts you at average.

As a history major, you may enjoy some of the writing excerpts. One or two of them is usually about history or something else in the humanities. In mine, I found a little gem I'm not supposed to divulge to you but beautifully sums up the role of history in the academy, which is to erase the other social sciences' attempts to instill confidence that we can control our own destinies. Just remember not to have too much fun reading them, keep plowing through the questions.
This discussion has been closed.