Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

need some perspective on how gre scores compare

estargrl88estargrl88 Registered User Posts: 529 Member
edited February 2010 in GRE Prep
Hi, I just took the GRE, but I realized that I have really no idea what is considered a high score vs. low like I did when I took the SAT. Since the quantitative section went quite awfully in comparison with any practice tests I did, I suspect that it's not so good, but anyway...
verbal: 590
quantitative: 520.
I'm guessing that for a grad school program in history or english that wouldn't be too bad?
Post edited by estargrl88 on

Replies to: need some perspective on how gre scores compare

• sarbruissarbruis Registered User Posts: 290 Junior Member
    Graduate Record Examination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those are the percentile scores. What kind of score you need is based on how competitive the programs you're applying to are.

Your verbal score is tolerable (~84%), but your quant is abysmal and you could probably bring it up fairly easily with lots of practice. For good English/History PhD programs, the verbal scores are going to be pretty high (probably 650-700 minimum). You're probably going to want to take it again unless you're not applying to competitive programs.
This discussion has been closed.