Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

GRE and Graduate Plans/preparation!

collegegrad12345collegegrad12345 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
Hello,

I recently graduated from a small, reputable liberal arts college. I was a double major in Anthropology, as well as Spanish. My gpa in both fields was a 4.0, while my cumulative score was a 3.99. I graduated with honors in Anthropology, as well as summa cum laude and was top of my class. I also have a rather well rounded CV, as I was active on campus over the course of the four years

I am not currently enrolled in a year long graduate program at a nearby institution that did not require the GRE for admission. I was admitted to three other similar programs that did not require the GRE as well, that were very reputable. However, I am contemplating continuing my studies immediately after, most likely for an MA/Phd. These programs do require the GRE.

Although I excel in school, I am not the best when it comes to standardized tests (as I saw with the SAT)-at least they do not match perfectly. I also have heard horror stories about the GRE from friends who took it. I was wondering, given my credentials, just how important is the GRE in admission decisions? I am not looking to necessarily attend an Ivy league grad school, but would like to be able to get accepted to a few programs. Also, how should I go about preparing and plan to take it? I was thinking a Kaplan (or similar) classroom course. Any insights are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.