Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
tagran86tagran86 Registered User Posts: 464 Junior Member
edited April 2005 in Grinnell College
So, I feel like I haven't really read anything on cc about Grinnell's location and how people have enjoyed it, despised it, whatever it might be. Personally, Grinnell is perfect in every way all across the board except for environment, and I have no idea if I'm going to be surprised and love it or it's going to be me, corn fields, and 4 years of college.

I'm visiting pretty soon so hopefully that will give me a better feel, especially since Grinnell is one of my top choices.

Any current students, admitted students, prospective students, parents, alums, whoever, have any input on what they enjoyed or disliked about Grinnell's middle of no where environment?

Thanks
Post edited by tagran86 on

Replies to: Location

• a123459a123459 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Well, Grinnell is not quite in the middle of the cornfields, but it comes pretty close. The town of Grinnell itself is small, although it does have a Wal-mart and a good selection of restaurants and businesses. Des Moines is about 45min to an hour drive away.

However, when I visited Grinnell had a very homey, close atmosphere, and all of the students talked about how manyt things there are to do on campus. From what I understand, most students stay on campus over the weekends, and with their huge endowment they can afford to bring in big-name bands and performers. Also, there are many extracurricular activities, sports, clubs, and of course homework to do; none of the students indicated they were bored, in fact they all remarked on how much there was to do on campus.

If you want a club scene, bars, and are looking for the night life you might get at schools in larger cities, Grinnell is probably not the school for you anyway.

Hope that helps.
  • aero56aero56 Registered User Posts: 510 Member
    do you think a car is necessary at grinnell?
  • SRMom3SRMom3 Registered User Posts: 350 Member
    My son has gotten by for 2 years without one. The college brings tons of stuff in. He manages to get to Iowa City fairly regularly with friends who have cars.
  • mizsicmizsic Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    Does everyone love Grinnell? We are going this week. I am hoping she will love it. At least on paper, it looks perfect.
    My son loves it, his sister is going to visit this week as well. I'm hoping she chooses it too.
  • snorkysnorky Registered User Posts: 575 Member
    Hey, Tag -- would be interested to hear what you think after your visit. My daughter is a sophomore and she loves it. The location really doesn't seem to be a problem in terms of having a social life, making friends, finding things to do. My daughter is involved in sports and theatre -- and these things keep her plenty busy. The one time the location is definitely a drawback is when it's time to come home -- especially if you're trying to travel any time other than the scheduled breaks. At breaks, the college arranges for shuttles to DesMoines, Chicago, and I think Minneapolis. At other times, there is no easy way to get to an airport. You have to find a friend with a car -- or you can arrange for someone to take you - which we did once, but it cost about $70 one way. My advice is to make your travel arrangements well in advance. Oh! It's also really hard to get a hotel in town around graduation, parents weekend and such. You really have to plan ahead. We are thinking about making reservations now - for graduation two years from now!
    Dear SR 3 Mom:
    Is your D leaning toward Grinnell now? My D can definitely see herself there. I had dinner with an old friend who is a theater professor there. She is amazingly bright and talented : if she is representative of the profs at Grinnell, our Ds can't go wrong!
    She seems to be, we'll know after the Kenyon visit on Tues/Weds.
    ditto here. let's talk next week.
  • tagran86tagran86 Registered User Posts: 464 Junior Member
    I'm going to Grinnell tomorrow...well technically today, the 18th. I'll tell whoever it was that wanted to hear about my reaction my adventure...or...whatever it is.
  • NicklebyNickleby Registered User Posts: 476 Member
    Hmmmmm, that's interesting.

I was just in Grinnell on the 17-18. I wonder.......
    Tagran

How was your visit?
  • tagran86tagran86 Registered User Posts: 464 Junior Member
    hah hey, nickleby, are you nick from montana
  • pattykkpattykk Registered User Posts: 334 Member
    hey, guys, we are waiting for your reactions to Grinnell.
  • NicklebyNickleby Registered User Posts: 476 Member
    WOW,

I wonder what the chances of that are. Yes I am.
This discussion has been closed.