Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A pretty much unofficial Grinnell Applicant thread

Replies to: A pretty much unofficial Grinnell Applicant thread

• mm99mm99 Registered User Posts: 275 Junior Member
    17 degrees with freezing rain was bad, but today, not any better, started out in the low 40's and dropped to -1 with a windchill around -25 or -30.
    Well, that's for northern Iowa, might be a little different down in Grinell.
  • fangsup15fangsup15 Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
    Holy ****!

And I thought it was cold today in LA (54 degrees and Cloudy)...
  • HollyloveHollylove Registered User Posts: 421 Member
    i'm currently having a grand realization that most of the schools i'm applying to...it gets COLD...not like, LA cold, but legitimately cold!
  • adeolangelouadeolangelou Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm from the inner city, but I got in, early decision. I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the Midwest, really...
  • mewruemewrue Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    OMG i am so nervous. i haven't heard yet but i got an email that the ED decisions would be up on pioneerweb asap!
    adeolangelou-

What do you want to know about the midwest?
  • scarecrowluvscarecrowluv Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    Could anyone of you who got in ED post your stats? I'm applying RD.
    Thanks and congrats!
  • NealJ2KNealJ2K Registered User Posts: 561 Member
    mew, lol, I don't go to school anyway... I basically homeschool myself because my school sucks and offers no advanced or AP classes. Sooo, I take my classes online! :)

Adeo, what do ya need to know, I'm as midwestern as it gets! My house is surrounded by cornfields on each side! (very typical here!)
    Neal-
    Do you also live in a county that only has one stop light?
  • casualcasual Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    scarecrow-

I got in ED and here are mine:

ACT-35
    GPA-3.92 UW
    Class rank: 1/400ish with my weighted GPA
  • Dairy State K8Dairy State K8 Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    casual,

I have to smile...you are not going to make any "mere mortals" feel any better about their chances of getting in ED, with stats like that! Wow! I have to think you would be a shoo-in ED, RD or anyD. What did you get for merit aid? Congratulations on your admission and on the hard work it must have taken to get those stats.
  • casualcasual Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    Dairy,
    Thanks for the congratulations. I got $10,000 a year in merit aid (15k is the max). I also got $30,200 in grants just from them. So, with government financial aid, I should be covered on just about everything. And if not, they "gave" me $2k in work study and $2k in Perkins loans.
  • NealJ2KNealJ2K Registered User Posts: 561 Member
    mm99, actually, we have a couple more than that... and I think I can just about count them all... hmm, my estimation is about 12 or so (10 being from one town) (oh, and I am counting stop light as an intersection with stop lights, not the individual lights)

You from Iowa too?
  • biofreekbiofreek Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    applied early decision with lots of ec;sat: 800comp, 700writing, 750 math; 3.3 gpa not weighted; National merit semi finalist;ok essay; not sure about recs but should be ok? Loved grinnell but got deferred to rd. I assume chances are slim now that I will be accepted. Any suggestions on other schools? Hope others got better news.
  • mcawesomemcawesome Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    biofreek!
    okay u're deferment is very discouraging, any idea wut might've dragged you down?
    Btw, I think the 78% acceptance rate for Grinnell ED is VERY misleading bc it's still so competitive since Grinnell attracts basically ONLY motivated and competitive students..........GOD I WANT TO GO TO GRINNELL!!! :(

oh and to casual..... I wish i was you haha
This discussion has been closed.