Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

harvard 2014 hopeful! but have bad SAT scores?

2»

Replies to: harvard 2014 hopeful! but have bad SAT scores?

• akashdipakashdip Registered User Posts: 728 Member
    he's not a sophomore. he's a junior. he posted the year wrong.

annd sorry to disturb you OP.
  • exultationsyexultationsy Registered User Posts: 1,100 Senior Member
    Wait, so you're saying you're international, don't have good test scores, have a bad transcript, and don't have that great ECs? I'm not sure I'm interpreting you correctly. Applying can't hurt, obviously, especially if you can make an eloquent case for yourself in your essays and have great recs, but if I interpreted you correctly, your chances are looking pretty slim, mate.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    Good but not great SATs, self-described mediocre transcript, and international applicant.

Given the current application pool into Harvard, I'd suggest you not place much if any hope into this scenario. Your energies should be placed in a well researched list of schools where you'll likely get an offer.
  • rew2402rew2402 Registered User Posts: 691 Member
    wow! thats a shocker! -_- ..
    well i do have mediocre transcripts and pretty bad SAT score(2000ish, actually am yet to give it this week, buy am not rising much above 2000) :| BUT am SURE i have outstanding ECs(including one or international awards) AND shining recommendations and great Essays too... then what? maybe SOME chance?! atleast enough to keep my hopes high?
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    Read these profiles of accepted/rejected students who are now college freshmen. Basically a mediocre transcript is a death blow to practically any applicant. "A shocker?" Really? Harvard rec'd almost 30000 applications from the world's best students. How many students in your own high school are better scholars than you? I urge you to consider my advice above.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/harvard-university/1112322-official-harvard-university-2015-decisions-thread.html
  • placido240placido240 - Posts: 636 Member
    You're only hope -- ONLY HOPE -- is if you can play D-1 American football at the top 5 BCS level or better. In particular, if you are a field goal kicker with impressive stats at or above the 30 yard line, then you will move near the top of the pile. Your Academic Index will be marginal, but you will get in if you can make a difference in . . . SPORTS!! That is the dirty little secret of the Ivies: they love love love athletes. So, get out and start kicking the ball!
    Well, if you mean "one B a year in my very worst subject," plus international awards, your shot increases. If you mean, as T2 gets at, you are not one of the best handful of students in your high school, yes, you are in trouble.
  • OhioMom2OhioMom2 Registered User Posts: 639 Member
    I don't think Harvard is going to excuse 1 B a year with subpar SAT scores. Just saying. Now if you had all A's in the most rigorous curriculum/AP classes and were top ranked, then you might have a tiny bit of leeway on your SAT scores.
  • rew2402rew2402 Registered User Posts: 691 Member
    ok, so i AM a state-level tennis player! (and the schools swimming champion) does it raise the chances a little more then?
    and T26E4, i totally get you.
    @OhioMom 2000-something is not unforgivable. One B a year and 2000 something isn't one of those sets of numbers that's an automatic "no." Obviously much less likely, etc. etc., but not so bad that it's worth saying it's not worth applying/it's inexcusable. @OP are you eligible to be athletically recruited?
2»
This discussion has been closed.