Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance me? I'm in grade 10.5

54641210d54641210d Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
edited November 2011 in Harvard University
Freshman year:
Double advanced Geometry ~ 85
Honors Biology ~ 89
English ~ 89
World History ~ 93
Honors French III ~ 87

Sophomore year:
Double advanced Algebra II ~ 87
Honors Chemistry ~ 85
English ~ 92
AP World History ~ 78
Honors French IV ~ 83

Now this is where it gets tricky. I started Junior year this September with these following courses:
AP US History
Double Advanced Precalc
Honors English
Honors Physics
AP French

But before first quarter came around, I had to pull out of school due to medical reasons. I had a tough time with my depression and was unable to attend school. I missed a lot of work and had to move down all my classes. I was able to get out before any grades were submitted.

Now I'm switching schools. After reading this thread:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/harvard-university/1245175-chance-me-im-sophomore-high-school.html

I was wondering what my chances were. Any thoughts?
Post edited by 54641210d on

Replies to: Chance me? I'm in grade 10.5

• exultationsyexultationsy Registered User Posts: 1,100 Senior Member
    Here's the thing, though. Your grades for freshman and sophomore year aren't even very good by Harvard standards, unless you went to a grade-deflating school. (Yes, there about on a par with that guy, but I didn't notice that his great improvement sophomore year still left him with not very good grades when I was reading it. I skimmed and thought he had improved to great on any scale, rather than great-but-I-wouldn't-say-so-if-it-wasn't-compared-to-two-Cs-and-an-F scale.) Grades aren't the whole application, though, and if you overcome this and achieve great things outside of school and get your grades back up to very high and get great standardized test scores, I think your chances will not be much less than the thousands of other applicants who achieve all of those things. (That sounds grim, but remember that there are like thirty people in this country who actually have an affirmatively good shot at getting in.)
This discussion has been closed.