Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

REA Chinese applicant: rejected

SolowhaleSolowhale Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
Hi guys I think I have pledged to report my results in a thread very very long ago but I just cannot find that any more. I haven't been to CC for a long time, quite a long period of time because of anxiety. I'd just post my results here.

REA applicant
Decision: rejected
SAT: R750 M800 W730
SAT II: Maths 800, Physics 800, USH 770
Activities: Roots and Shoots the Jane Goodall Institute (President school chapter, municipal awards)
theater (playwright, director, stage designer but only within high school)
debate (a few awards within school)
writing for school magazine and...
I don't know, seems as if my activities really suck and not so good for Harvard
Essay: I think my essays are pretty good and after I get deferred I sent an update about my thoughts on a play and described my passion for the unique Visual and Environmental Studies at Harvard
Recommendations: two additional recommendations, one from Roots and Shoots Shanghai head executive and another from a Swarthmore graduate environmental tutor
Interview: it was my first interview and it was bad experience, that's all I can say

I feel terribly sorry that I cannot meet up with you guys at Cambridge this fall. I now have a very clear idea that college application is just a process of summing up my past and see what future challenge I am destined to encounter. I do love Harvard the best all over the schools, perhaps because of its prestige but more likely not, and I don't wanna blame any one including myself. I'd thank you all for giving me your kindly advice on my application to Harvard and finally, this pursuit has reached a quite disappointing end. but not that disappointing as I might imagine - I am going to Amherst College.

If there're a lot of future Chinese applicants in the forum and you want my advice, feel free to PM me although I guess I probably don't know much. The only thing I am pretty sure about is that as for Chinese students, Harvard wants those who can sustain both a rigorous academic life and a vibrant extra-curricular one, with the former more important.

I am sharing this account with one of my best friends so you may see Solowhale posting about others schools like UPenn or something, but I would keep using this account to see what's going on in the Harvard forum. I don't have any more to say but...if anyone's also going to Amherst, just message me :)

Wish you guys all the success in college :)
This discussion has been closed.