Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is it true that there is a 40-50% acceptance rate for 2400ers?

Replies to: Is it true that there is a 40-50% acceptance rate for 2400ers?

• Fermat25Fermat25 Registered User Posts: 284 Junior Member
    The second one is a worthless kid .. don't care how smart the brain may be, unless self motivated and put up his self driven effort he is worthless and deserves the community college admission 100%.

Worthless? I am so genuinely dumbfounded by your statement that my mind is having difficulty outputting a response without directly insulting you. He is self-motivated. Like I said, in anything like math, physics, or computer science, he knows ten times much as me, who is graduating in the top 2% of the same class and was accepted to several quality schools. He has taught himself mass quantities of information. He knows 3 or 4 programming languages, has taught himself mathematics past multivariate calculus and well into complex theory, and is genuinely a master of classical physics. Both the physics and calculus teacher who taught him openly say he is the most brilliant student they've had, and one has been teaching for more than 30 years. He didn't get above a B in either of those classes, and that was with cutting school constantly.

He knows he has made bad decisions, and I don't agree with the way he treated HS, but the fact still remains that he will someday be VERY successful and happy with what he does. He has spent countless hours self-teaching and loves a handful of subjects. He just couldn't take the monotony of pointless classes in high school that are beyond intellectually dead. The classes simply bored him and he was unable to endure putting himself through that. I've often felt the same, not to his extent of course, but until I went to a magnet school, I can recall feeling as if I was getting dumber by being in my public school classes.

He should have put up with the monotony, but nonetheless he is incredibly brilliant and would thrive if put into the right environment. To call him worthless is an insult to your own intelligence. The first student I referred to is the most annoying individual I've ever met. She never stops obsessing and her pure lack of passion in anything is just depressing. Sure, making money or being successful matters, but when your only goal is to "to be successful" with only a monetary goal in mind, you need to reassess the fact that you only live your life once.
  • UMTYMP studentUMTYMP student Registered User Posts: 949 Member
    It's very possible that someone with a 2400 and a low gpa will thrive in the right environment at a selective college. It's also possible that the person would continue their lazy ways and flunk out. Given how competitive admissions are at elite college it's not surprising that they don't accept such students because they can accept other students who will almost certainly succeed instead of more risky students with high SATs and low gpas.
  • required3required3 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Why people always think Chinese or Asian students get high SAT because they are only doing study?

Did I mention my daughter did something else other than studying:
    1) 4 years volleyball school team and AAU club. (If you or your kids had same experience, you should know how much time it would need.)
    2) 3 years Secetery of Student Council,
    3) Piano companion and viola player in school band,
    4) Worked in a clinic every weekend (and some week day night) since high school till now.

She participated some SAT training classes, but that after took the test, and she was the tutor not the learners!
  • gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,484 Senior Member
    ^^ Maybe because of articles (and books) like this: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior - WSJ.com
  • HarvardParentHarvardParent Registered User Posts: 184 Junior Member
    Ugh :-). I woudn't take Amy Chua too seriously as her book about tiger mom is more fictional than nonfictional. The tiger cub at Harvard (class of 15) is also not like the caricature depicted in the book.
  • ewhoewho Registered User Posts: 1,397 Senior Member
    Six juniors in the high school near me have a 2400, not surprisingly there are all Asians. We will see what will happen next year.
  • bashishg3bashishg3 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Do you know anybody below <2150; but with other solid attributes has got into Harvard?
    This is a v intriguing logic!!! i have yet to see a 2400 scorer w a low GPA, for being lazy. I have also yet to see a lazy getting 2400. Basically 0 correlation.

I did see a few ~2400 w ~0 sports accomplishments, not surprisingly.
    You must me proud of her and anybody who read your post should be proud of this outstanding accomplishments. She is an achiever. Did any of the HYPMS tell you, why did they reject? It's impossible to be "wrong" in essay with such an achiever and recommendation here, has a v little change to go wrong. Recommender would be suspected here, since there so much finite evidence. I am curious to learn. Only for the reason to understand what they want
    I don't think any college would tell you why you got rejected. I believe there are quite a lot of kids like her, or even better than her were also rejected from all HPYMS. Each of those school had more than 30k applicants with only ~2000 postions which was farther reduced by the hooked kids, some unlucky kids would miss their chances. It's hardly to believe the recommenters made some negative words on her, the teachers she chose liked her very much. Well, I asked a friend read her essay recently, he said the essay was written with unique style, but not selling her enough. Anyway, sometime, there is no reason to be rejected from any school.
  • toughyeartoughyear Registered User Posts: 331 Member
    Why people always think Chinese or Asian students get high SAT because they are only doing study?

Did I mention my daughter did something else other than studying:
    1) 4 years volleyball school team and AAU club. (If you or your kids had same experience, you should know how much time it would need.)
    2) 3 years Secetery of Student Council,
    3) Piano companion and viola player in school band,
    4) Worked in a clinic every weekend (and some week day night) since high school till now.

She participated some SAT training classes, but that after took the test, and she was the tutor not the learners!
    The highschool I follow with interest (because my kids went there), this year's graduating class had students in the top ten accepted to Harvard and Yale but they were whites. The class valedictorian was an Asian American (Chinese) but he was not accepted into any of the top ten schools (USN), not even top fifteen. Again, in this school the majority of the top ten students are Asian Americans and the val is invariably an AA. But these top ranking (who usually excels in extra curricular activities also) AA students have hard time getting in the top schools, for the past several years. Did your daughter decide which school to enroll at?
  • hzhao2004hzhao2004 Registered User Posts: 540 Member
    My S, an AA, is probably going to get 2400 on his SAT, but he really sucks at sports. Other ECs and awards are quite strong. His dream school is H. My fingers are crossed.
    I looked Candidates for the Presidential Scholars Program 2012 in in New Jersey. http://www2.ed.gov/programs/psp/2012/candidates.pdf.
    The qualification was SAT 1600 (R+M) or ACT 36. Out of 100 candidates, count yourself, there were 50 Chinese + Korean, I believe there were many Indian students too. You can image what's the ratio of AA in 2400ers. I guess most of them will be rejected by H, not because of high SAT scores. Diversity is an important factor for high education, which is also an elite college looking for.

By the way, none of those AA candidates was selected as Presidential Scholars of New Jersey.
    To toughyear, my D enrolled in Williams College.
  • uk2066uk2066 - Posts: 8 New Member
    No. The acceptance rate for this group was 18.6%. This is in the information sent to alumni interviewers. Interestingly, this is the same percentage of candidates who were accepted with 3.6-3.8 GPAs. However, the acceptance rate from minority candidates with 3.5 GPAs was 49% (also from alumni interviewer statistics). If I read the statistics right, a minority candidate with a 3.5 GPA is roughly five times as likely to be admitted as a non-minority candidate with a 3.9 GPA. The reason is that Harvard is seeking diversity.
  • toughyeartoughyear Registered User Posts: 331 Member
    my D enrolled in Williams College.
    Congratulations. Williams is a great college.

The valedictorian student that I mentioned earlier is among the Semifinalists of the Presidential Scholars Program 2012 --- and this indicates he excels in other areas than academics.
    To be considered further, candidates must submit candidacy materials, including essays, self-assessments, secondary school reports, and transcripts. Candidates are evaluated on their academic achievement, personal characteristics, leadership and service activities, and an analysis of their essay.

In late March, approximately 500 semifinalists are chosen by an independent, national committee of educators convened by the Commission on Presidential Scholars. Six to twenty semifinalists are identified for each state/jurisdiction by the review committee.
    Diversity is an important factor for high education
    Lets call a spade a spade. Selection and acceptance based on RACE and RACIAL DIVERSITY is an important factor in higher education Why should they use a disguise of 'Diversity' when what they are really doing is a racial discrimination practice? The US Department of the Interior describes 'Diversity' as
    The term "diversity" is used broadly to refer to many demographic variables, including, but not limited to, race, religion, color, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, age, education, geographic origin, and skill characteristics. America's diversity has given this country its unique strength, resilience and richness.
    Harvard and other top colleges seem to be stressing only one aspect of this diversity, racial diversity, with a serious discrimination against one race in particular. Americans with Asian origin. This is racial discrimination that is still being practiced without being prosecuted by law. When will the Supreme Court hear the case against U.Texas about affirmative action in college admission? (AA should want more conservatives in the Supreme Court so that this affirmative action becomes declared unconstitutional).
This discussion has been closed.