Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is it true that there is a 40-50% acceptance rate for 2400ers?

kathie2011kathie2011 Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
edited October 2013 in Harvard University
Is it true that people who score a perfect score on the SAT (2400) (I don't mean a high score - literally a 2400) have about a 40-50% chance of being accepted into Harvard? I've seen it posted numerous times here before, but I'm not sure if it's true? Anyone know where this information comes from or is it just an estimate?

If it is true, then that's a pretty good shot...considering the normal acceptance rate, which is like 7%.....
Post edited by kathie2011 on

Replies to: Is it true that there is a 40-50% acceptance rate for 2400ers?

• quickster94quickster94 Registered User Posts: 200 Junior Member
    I know four perfect scorers including myself, 2 accepted, 2 rejected, so at least in this sample size of four it's 50%... haha
  • AkimboModel1887AkimboModel1887 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Whoa are you quickster from AoPS?
  • lcedcoffeeelcedcoffeee Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    There were 2 2400's at our school who applied. I got in, my friend got waitlisted. But correlation doesn't imply causation. I would say the people who score above 2350 on their SAT's generally show passion in their extracurriculars and essays as well.
  • LaggingLagging Registered User Posts: 1,162 Senior Member
    Last year all 3 people with 2400s on their SATs from my school were rejected from Harvard (and several other Ivies). Without good ECs a 2400 will still get rejected. Getting a 2400 doesn't guarantee you a 40% acceptance rate.
  • snipersassnipersas Registered User Posts: 679 Member
    Good ECs and a 2400 won't necessarily do much, either.
  • UMTYMP studentUMTYMP student Registered User Posts: 949 Member
    According to Parchment.com which relies on self-reported data, a 2400 non-URM non-legacy with a 4.0 gpa has a 32% chance, a 26% chance with a 3.9 gpa and a 21% chance with a 3.8 gpa. The percentages are considerably higher for URMs or legacies. I'm not exactly sure what Parchment's methodology is but I assume it involves some smoothing of results based on SAT scores so if there is a discontinuity for acceptance rates between SAT scores of 2390 and 2400 [it wouldn't matter if the discontinuity arose from Harvard strongly preferring 2400s or 2400s being significantly more accomplished on average than 2390s] I don't think it would be reflected in Parchment's results. There is also the issue of selection bias in self-reported data but I imagine this is going to be better than the anecdotal data you're going to get and I don't think are any better data sources on this that are publicly available.
  • glassesarechicglassesarechic Registered User Posts: 5,487 Senior Member
    Princeton and Brown both release (or used to release) data that broke down admissions by stats. I think the 2400 advantage was something like 30-40%, yes.
  • toughyeartoughyear Registered User Posts: 331 Member
    #7 above,
    According to Parchment.com which relies on self-reported data, a 2400 non-URM non-legacy with a 4.0 gpa has a 32% chance,...
    I think this should read:

... a 2400 non-URM non-legacy non-Asian with a 4.0 gpa has a 32% chance, and Asians have less than 16% chance
  • UMTYMP studentUMTYMP student Registered User Posts: 949 Member
    Actually Parchment breaks data in two categories for these predictions: non-URM and URM. Obviously this obscures any possible difference between white and Asian applicants as well as differences between blacks, Hispanics, and native Americans.

I'm willing to believe that Asians suffer some kind of penalty but I don't think it's nearly large enough for Asian 2400s 4.0s to have half the acceptance rates of similarly qualified whites.
  • watermeloncholywatermeloncholy Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Whoa, that's pretty high o.o
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 31,157 Senior Member
    Don't forget though that the qualities that allow a student to get a 2400, are probably also ones that make sure the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed on the rest of their application - great EC's, great recommendations, great essays...
  • JimboSteveJimboSteve Registered User Posts: 834 Member
    2400s correlate with curricular and extracurricular accomplishments. It isn't the score itself that would bring up the acceptance rate.
  • aegaisaegais Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    Exactly. A mere 2400 will not get you in. It just so happens that a 2400 usually correlates with high achievements in other parts of the application as well.

Source: 2400.
  • watermeloncholywatermeloncholy Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Correlation can be pretty weak though.

@mathmom & JimboSteve: The qualities that allow a student to get a 2400 on the SAT aren't necessarily ones that will contribute that much to overall college apps - sure, it means they're "smart," but there are plenty of brilliant kids without 2400's. The difference between a 2300 and 2400 is marginal in terms of its correlation to a student's overall academic and extracurricular performance.

@aegais: 2400's aren't "mere" - they're still fantastic accomplishments. Also, I'm interested in seeing how you used your source in your post :P If you're citing your own personal accomplishment as evidence for correlation, note that it's hard to test for correlation on a single point.
  • EllaVirginiaEllaVirginia Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    I had a 2400 and I was waitlisted. Not sure how that adds to the data pool, lol. But I also didn't give the supplement any effort because it wasn't my first choice. So I'm thinking it must have been my scores that kept me from being rejected... I guess who really knows, though? My interviewer from Harvard told me she heard there was like a 30% chance or something.
This discussion has been closed.