Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!
hungarypeasanthungarypeasant Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited October 2012 in Harvard University
Hi Guys,

I am a freshman at Harvard in need of some money. I was thinking of trying to host overnights for prospective students where I do an "extended tour" and show them the dormitories and give them a place to sleep, kind of like a normal college overnight once you get into the school, but basically for any prospective students. Do you think people would be interested in this at all or does this seem kinda silly?

Thanks for your responses!!!
Post edited by hungarypeasant on

Replies to: Overnight

• SikorskySikorsky Registered User Posts: 5,851 Senior Member
    Do you think the College would let you? I don't. You'd be exposing Harvard to liability if something went wrong while you were hosting one of your extended tours.
  • Writer100Writer100 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I wouldn't think your roommates would be thrilled with having random high school students routinely staying in your suite as part of a business you were running. I would think there are easier part-time employment opportunities available for you that wouldn't draw the ire of the Administration. I agree with Sikorsky, I can't imagine Harvard would approve such an endeavor.
    I wouldn't think your roommates would be thrilled with having random high school students routinely staying in your suite as part of a business you were running.

That's a good point, too.
  • gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,368 Senior Member
    "I would think there are easier part-time employment opportunities available for you that wouldn't draw the ire of the Administration."

There are, and most student jobs pay $11 an hour or more: Students Harvard Student Employment Office
  • DwightEisenhowerDwightEisenhower Registered User Posts: 1,704 Senior Member
    Ha your enterprising spirit is admirable but you'd prob get adboarded if the College found out.
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,590 Senior Member
    You are explicitly forbidden to run a business from your dorm room. In practice, if your business is 100% online (like web design or day trading), the college doesn't enforce the rule. Having physical customers on campus would never fly.
    When I was a Yard resident, 30 years ago, HUPD (together with the Cambridge PD, I think) took some freshmen out of Canaday in handcuffs for running a business out of their dorm room.

Of course, their business was selling cocaine.
  • viavia Registered User Posts: 757 Member
    Work Dorm Crew! Great pay and flexible hours!
This discussion has been closed.