Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Chance me? Harvard+any Ivies

ariamontgomeryariamontgomery Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
edited October 2012 in Harvard University
Unweighted gpa: 92.3/3.75
SAT: 2050
ACT: 30
Always have take honors and AP courses. When I graduate in june 2013, I will have 10 APs
AP Scholar with Distinction
Varsity tennis (11/12th grades)
Varsity lacrosse (11/12)
JV lacrosse (9/10)
Volunteered at the hospital for a summer and part of a school year
Interned at a college pharmaceuticals lab summer between 9th and 10th
Volunteered in a nursing home in India this past summer (200 hours)
Interned at a hospital in India for 2 months
Volunteered at my town's volunteer service
Joined the towns consortium group this year
Have learned Indian Classical music since the age of 4 and have given many public performances
Have learned Indian classical dance called bharathanatyam since age 11 with an arm disability since birth and have given many public performances. Got promoted a level for superior performance. First student in my dance school's history to have gotten this honor.

Treasurer of American Field Service club (foreign exchange student club)
Executive Board of Student Congress (interviewed and accepted)
Executive Board of French Club (10 and 11th grade)
Treasurer of French club this year
Treasurer of National Honor Society
Tutoring high school students in math
Was offered a position into NYLF Med but couldn't go due to financial reasons :(
Working on publishing a book

*my parents make less than 90K this year and 2010, we got only 40k cause my dad was unemployed so we have a lot of debt :( can i get financial aid? (grants not payback loans)
Thank you so much!
Post edited by ariamontgomery on

Replies to: Chance me? Harvard+any Ivies

• SikorskySikorsky Registered User Posts: 5,851 Senior Member
    2050 and 30 and 3.75 don't make Ivies impossible, but they don't put you among the really competitive Ivy applicants--or perhaps even the top half. Do you have any idea what your class rank is?

You clearly have a lot to offer, and if you choose your colleges wisely, you could have a lot of options in the spring. There are many selective, well respected colleges and universities that would like to enroll a student like you. But I'm afraid I think you're a long way from being a shoo-in for Harvard and its peers.
  • notjoenotjoe Registered User Posts: 1,181 Senior Member
    In terms of financial aid, Harvard is very generous. It will be mostly grant with a modest amount of work study.

My experience with my son is that Harvard looked at our financial situation individually, and offered something that took into account our specific needs.

If you're able to get admitted to Harvard, the school will provide one of the most generous, if not the most generous, financial aid package that you will be offered.

The chances generally of getting into Harvard, at least for last year's high school seniors, was about 1 out of 20. For well-qualified applicants, I imagine their chances will be about that, give or take a bit.

Your SAT and ACT scores place you below the median 50% of folks admitted to Harvard. I'd think that probably hurts your chances.

A lot of the other data is most meaningful in the context of where you're going to school, especially your GPA.

10 APs is great, at least if you got mostly 5s and maybe a few 4s. But at some high schools, there are students who regularly take 10 APs. At others, the curriculum of the school may preclude taking 10 APs. Harvard will look at your accomplishments within the context of your high school environment. Should you apply to Harvard, your school will send them their secondary school report, which will tell Harvard something about your school so that they can place your achievements in context.

From my son's experience, I wouldn't worry much about extracurriculars. Yours look better than my son's did.

Harvard also looks closely at essays and the recommendations from teachers and one's counselor.

Are you an international student, or are you going to high school in the US? My understanding is that competition for seats for international students is greater than for folks coming from US high schools.

Hope that helps.
  • ariamontgomeryariamontgomery Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    thank you so much. I am taking the SAT in october again but I dont know how much better I will do. Most people at my high school take about 5-7 APs so I have much more than anyone in my grade. I go to high school in the States
  • HypeMan2013HypeMan2013 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I think you definitely have the stats, but with Ivies admissions is a crap shoot. Chance me?

Here are my stats
    GPA: 3.8889 out of 4.0(unweighted)
    ACT: 32
    SAT:1970 CR- 630 Math- 720 Writing- 620 (plan to retake)
    SAT II: Chemistry- 740*
    Math II- 730
    Biology- 680*
    AP scores- Human Geography(5), World history(4), Computer Science(4), Chemistry(5), Biology(5), Statistics(5), Calculus AB(5), English Lang.(4),*
    Physics B(4), APUSH(5)
    Senior year schedule:
    Senior Thesis*
    AP Lit
    AP Calc BC
    AP Econ and AP gov
    AP Physics C E&M*+ Mechanics
    AP Psychology
    AP Spanish Lang.*
    AP Environmental Science*

ECs
    Marching Band
    **-member(9-12)*
    *-section leader (10th)
    *-2nd lieut. Drum major (11th)*
    *-Head Drum Major(12th)*
    Concert Band
    - 3rd Chair Alto Sax(9)
    -2nd Chair Alto Sax(10)
    *-1st Chair Alto Sax(11)*
    -All City Band(9-12)*
    -1st Division District, Region, and State UIL Solo and Ensemble(9-12)*
    Jazz Ensemble
    2nd Alto Sax Jazz II(9-10)
    2nd Alto Sax Jazz I(11th)
    Lead Alto Sax Jazz I(12th)
    All-Region Jazz Ensemble(11-12)*
    Pep Band*
    -member(9-12)
    *smaller version of marching bans consisting of best players, marchers, etc.*
    Additional:
    National AP scholar
    AP Scholar with Distinction
    AP Scholar*
    National Achievement Semifinalist*
    National Merit Commended Scholar
    Outstanding Achievement in Chemistry
    National Honor Society
    National English Honor Society(pres.)
    National Science Honor Society
    Mu Alpha Theta*

URM(African American)*
    Low-Income (<$30,000)*
  • ecouter11ecouter11 Registered User Posts: 1,515 Senior Member
    ^Stop hijacking threads.

To the OP, i'm just another kid but if I were you, I'd really take time off and do some SERIOUS prep for standardized tests and maybe cancel the Oct. SAT if you don't feel better prepped. I think you can still apply EA if you write the tests in Nov. BTW, do you have SAT2s done?

Go to the SAT forum here- there are some amazing guides. I also have a ton of free SAT resources online (tests and prepbooks), so if you want that, feel free to PM me. :)

You seem like a really awesome person and top schools offer the best Fin. aid, so I think if you can fix up your scores you'd have a good shot.
  • oldfashionedoldfashioned Registered User Posts: 152 Junior Member
    i think u have a pretty decent shot but I'd suggest u try and improve ur SAT 1 score. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.