Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance Threads - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING ONE

124»

Replies to: Chance Threads - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING ONE

• medadvicemedadvice Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    edited December 2014
    Great post
  • xxxMichaelxxxxxxMichaelxxx Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    edited May 2015
    Hey, I know this isn't really a great time of the year for chances, but I'm curious about my chances. Any responses are greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if this matters for Harvard, due to the late concentration declaration, but I want to do computer science in SEAS.

ACT
    1: 34 Comp

35 English
    34 Math
    34 Reading
    33 Science

2: 35 Comp

35 English
    36 Math
    32 Reading
    36 Science

9 for both essays

GPA: 4.24 (right above average for my school's admittance)
    4.00 (Unweighted)

Class Rank:
    probably about 5 out of 440 (not published)

AP classes:
    Stats, Psych, Comp Sci, Chem, Calc BC, Bio
    5's on first 4, haven't seen scores for last two

EC's
    4 years varsity tennis
    2 years tennis captain
    2 years NHS
    2 years economics club
    2 years robotics team
    25 hours comm. service robotics day camp
    50 hours comm. service building a website for a religious organization
    Built a GPA calculator for students
    Developed a Website for comparing schedules between students

Ethnicity and Gender:
    White Male
  • gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,511 Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    ^^ @xxxMichaelxxx: What you just did is called HIJACKING A THREAD. It's rude and you should not do it. Instead, if you want to know your chances, or have another question, post a NEW thread of your own. But before you do, please read this from another recently posted "chance" thread.

Here's what a seasoned professional will tell you: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/massachusetts-institute-technology/939227-reminder-no-one-not-even-me-can-give-you-an-accurate-chance-at-mit-p1.html
    No one on this forum, not even me, can give you a meaningful chance at MIT [sic] or Harvard

Why?

- Because the factors of admissions that can be readily apprehended in a forum post (GPA, SAT scores, etc) are in many ways the least important in our process.

- Because listing the school you go to or ECAs you are involved in does not communicate the degree to which you are a vibrant member of the community, does not communicate what your coaches or teachers or mentors will say about you, and those are the things we care about.

- Because it does not include any information about the interview, which is another critical insight into the candidacy of any prospective applicant.

- Because a forums post cannot communicate the complexity of an applicant's life story, circumstances, and so forth; even if they were to replicate all the answers to their essay questions, we still have additional data external to the application that we consider in understanding an applicant's context.

Bottom line: Your SAT and SAT Subject test scores are within Harvard's range, therefore you are a competitive applicant. Beyond that, no one can tell you with any specificity your chances.

Most applicants who are rejected to HYPSM have the exact same scores scores as you -- just look at the decisions threads: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/harvard-university/1627558-official-harvard-university-2018-rd-decisions-only-p1.html

Therefore your essays, teacher recommendations, guidance counselor report (SSR) and interview report will be the determining factor. And we are not the ones reading those elements of your file. You, like every other applicant, just has to send their applications out into the universe and hope for the best.
124»
This discussion has been closed.