right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Not doing a preorientation program?

ilovefood123ilovefood123 7 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
edited June 2013 in Harvard University
Is not doing any preorientation program a BIG disadvantage in term of getting to know people better? Would i feel totally left out on move in day if i don't do a pre orientation program and don't know anyone? what is the approximate percentage of freshmen who participated in one in the past years?
edited June 2013
5 replies
Post edited by ilovefood123 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Not doing a preorientation program?

• gibbygibby 10528 replies246 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    "Is not doing any preorientation program a BIG disadvantage in term of getting to know people better?"

Absolutely NOT. My daughter did dorm crew and while she met many kids during the week, she never became good friends with any of them. That was reserved for her roommates and entryway mates.

The only real advantage to doing a preorientation program is that kids who are on campus the night before move-in day get the keys to their room at 5pm. So, in theory, you can move all your stuff into your room the night before everyone else does and avoid the hectic move-in mayhem (but you still can't claim your bed until all of your roommates arrive.)

I wouldn't worry about it at all -- you'll be fine!
    · Reply · Share
  • HispanicMDHispanicMD 21 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    I didn't do a preorietation program either and it didn't make any difference. My best friends and blockmates were my roommates freshmen year, and neither one of them did the same preorientation program. If you can do a program, do it, but it really isn't a substantial factor to making close friends.
    · Reply · Share
  • physicsnut1physicsnut1 716 replies22 threadsRegistered User Member
    While I don't think you'd be at a disadvantage, a lot of people (with the possible exception of those who do dorm crew) REALLY enjoy their pre-orientation programs. I did FOP (and am now a FOP leader) and a large chunk of people who do FOP say (in their senior year survey) that FOP was one of their best experiences at Harvard. So don't do one if you don't want to, but they can be wonderful!
    · Reply · Share
  • coureurcoureur 11196 replies190 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My daughter was a FOP leader her junior and senior years, and she loved the program and highly recommends it. However, back in her own freshman year she did not do a pre-orientation program. I don't think she was at any disadvantage. She still quickly made tons of friends.
    · Reply · Share
  • ElanorciElanorci 759 replies82 threadsRegistered User Member
    Definitely not a disadvantage. You might feel a bit left out for the first week or so, but after that there isn't any noticeable difference.

Do a preorientation if the content of the program appeals to you, but don't feel obligated to do one just for the sake of making friends.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity