Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Latest I should take SAT/SAT Subject Test?

barazinbarbarazinbar Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited September 2013 in Harvard University
So the deadline for the SATs/Subject Tests is the January date. I plan on taking a math subject test but I'm really busy until January, so I'd like to take the January one. However, does it look bad if you wait till the last minute; will my chances go down for acceptance? I've already taken two subject tests but I decided to take a math one as well because I plan on majoring in economics.
Post edited by barazinbar on

Replies to: Latest I should take SAT/SAT Subject Test?

• barazinbarbarazinbar Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Also, do I even need to take a math SAT subject test if I plan on majoring in economics? Again, I already have two tests: World History and Bio.
  • gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,500 Senior Member
    does it look bad if you wait till the last minute; will my chances go down for acceptance?

Not if you score an 800!

FWIW: If both your World History and Bio are between 750 and 800, I don't see why you would need to take the Math Subject Test, even though you are planning on majoring in Econ. Colleges do not hold you to your intended major, as they know most students switch majors at least once during their 4 years of college. So, you should submit your top 2 scores, regardless of major, as Harvard uses your top 2 SAT Subject tests to calculate your Academic Index.
    I got a 740 on Bio and 800 on World History; is that good enough?
    Those scores, coupled with your SAT score, should give you an Academic Index well within Harvard's range. So, yes I think it's fine. See: The Academic Index - Ivy League Admissions Key? - College Confidential
    Thanks for the help! I might as well ask another question that I had. I started a club junior year (a business club) but I discontinued it at the end of the year due to lack of interest. Should I still include it in my app despite the fact that it ultimately failed, or would it be seen as a "black eye" on my application?
    The Common Application asks you to list your extracurricular activities in the order of importance to you. If this club was really important to you, then I would list it. However, if you have a laundry list of other activities that are more important to you, then I would omit it.
    Thanks again for all your help!
This discussion has been closed.