right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

HGSE vs. HLS Admissions

Gradhound1911Gradhound1911 1 replies1 threads New Member
edited November 2014 in Harvard University
Hello all, new to posting but longtime lurker.

EDIT: I know this is partially a "chance" post, and that they are lame, but I have several questions pertaining to the programs themselves as well so don't discount me just yet :)

I'll be graduating with a B.S. in History from a cozy Michigan directional university in a year and a half, with a strong possibility of maintaining my current 4.0 GPA to the bitter end. At the very least I will finish in the Summa range.

I am looking at either applying to HGSE for the Higher Ed. or M.A.T. programs, and I'm wondering if I might make a compelling applicant. I have also been studying the law school game for some time, though I think making a 170+ on the LSAT is a stretch for me. I am trying to rationalize spending another 3 years of school out of the job market with abysmal job prospects in the legal world, though it is Harvard after all...

The Stats:
-Military Veteran (In my mid-20's)
-Strong GPA
-EC's: Editor at the college paper, VP of Pre-Law club, College Republicans. (Looking to possibly join Phi Alpha Theta honor society soon if I can fit it around my schedule.)
-No GRE scores yet
-I'm fairly poor right now, but would feel comfortable financing a portion of the tuition for HGSE since I will have ZERO debt from undergrad (GI Bill.)
-3rd gen. college student.

If accepted, I would most likely live in the dormitories which HGSE so graciously guarantees for incoming students, and basically devote 100% of my energy to kicking butt. Does anyone have an opinion on the marketability of either degree program (Higher Ed. vs. M.A.T.?) Has anyone done either program and can offer perspective?

My end game is to either go into college administration or teach in a public or private school setting, though I think I would prefer a private school somewhere on the East coast or in the South. Will transferring credentials around the country be a problem?

That's the gist of it all. I know having GRE and LSAT scores would make sense, but I don't have them...this has just been picking at my brain for a little while. Let me know what you all think.

edited November 2014
0 replies
· Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity