Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Harvard or Stanford?

Replies to: Harvard or Stanford?

• T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    @goldenfygg: I’m with JustOneDad: that’s unsupported advice if I ever saw any. No med students out of Stanford? Really? C’mon.
  • gravitas2gravitas2 Registered User Posts: 1,474 Senior Member
    Over the years I have seen equal numbers of students choose Stanford, Harvard or Yale (of those who got accepted to multiple schools...not very many have these options) when it comes to being "premeds"...and, of those, Stanford and Yale students seem to have a "happier" time in a chillaxed environment than those students who chose Harvard. You must remember, "true" premeds are rarely at ease or not under duress during their college experience (no matter where you go)...but, it helps to be around those who are more chillax...

...and going to the OP...when it comes to CS or Engineering...it's a completely different story...

• JustOneDadJustOneDad Registered User Posts: 5,845 Senior Member
    As I understand it, Yale grads have a 99% success rate with medical school admissions.
    It's not hard to believe as I am very impressed with the "new" Yale.
  • goldenfygggoldenfygg Registered User Posts: 662 Member
    Obviously OP is going to choose what they feel best with but it's just that Harvard is in close proximity to some of the best hospitals in the country.
  • shellzshellz Registered User Posts: 1,414 Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Not sure how being near good hospitals has any bearing on comp sci degree.... And for "pre-med" undergrad, hospital prestige would still play a minor role . Internships can be obtained at most major med center with similar results.
  • gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,482 Senior Member
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,687 Senior Member
    I don't find Stanford or Yale to be "chillaxed" at all. People at all three schools are the kind of strivers who work their butts off even without anyone/anything pushing them, and people at all three have fun with friends and blow off steam. There may be different ways of expressing it, but there are overwhelmingly type A personalities in this echelon.
  • Homeless2PrincetonHomeless2Princeton Registered User Posts: 447 Member
    @JustOneDad‌ curious as to what you mean by the "new yale"??
    They are working very hard to put more emphasis on "modern' preparation like Computer Science and scientific research, particularly in the biological sciences. I also got the sense they were expanding engineering. Students who go there are the beneficiaries of all this opportunity.
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 17,933 Senior Member
    Apart from computer science, that sounds very much like the "old" Yale. Yale has been expanding its engineering program constantly for a generation, since bringing it back from near-death, and as far as I know it has always placed emphasis on scientific research, particularly in the biological sciences. My biology professor more than 35 years ago was a Nobelist, and half the people I knew in my college were involved in some sort of biological or medical research. My freshman suite was decorated in three-dimensional models of organic molecules.
  • gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,482 Senior Member
    ^^ Yes, but . . . http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2013/01/18/science-recruitment-goal-attained/
    The class of 2016 represents the first in which over 40 percent of students matriculated with the intent to major in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) field.

From 2006 to 2011, the number of STEM applicants to Yale increased by about 52 percent, compared to a 40 percent increase in overall application numbers in the future. In February 2011, the Admissions Office debuted Yale Engineering and Science Weekend (YES-W) — a program that invites targeted applicants from Yale’s regular decision admissions pool to visit campus to see the University’s science and engineering resources — and plans to continue hosting the program each year, Brenzel added.

@JHS I know West Campus was created after you were there, but have you seen it? It's quite impressive. Made me want to go back to school. :)

And, I have to say that the biomedical sciences students who lead our tours were very impressive as well.
  • awcntdbawcntdb Registered User Posts: 3,553 Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Depends who you are majoring in, to some degree - computer science? Then no brainer - Stanford. But overall, go to the school you feel most comfortable in.
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 17,933 Senior Member
    There's a weird idea around Yale that somehow because it's so strong in things like literary studies, theater, music, and history, it has to be bad in STEM. That simply isn't true, and never has been (although both Yale and Harvard can be accused of dropping the ball on engineering in the second half of the last century). It isn't the across-the-board powerhouse Stanford is, certainly, and it's math program is not as strong in as many fields as Harvard's or Princeton's, but in general, and especially in the life sciences, it has always been a great place to learn, and it attracts great students. Lots of people I knew there as a student are MDs or MD/PhDs. Some of them are "just" practicing physicians, but two of my former roommates are (or were, until recently) the chairs of major departments at world-class academic hospitals. Another classmate and friend is a professor at MIT. (I'm not cherry-picking; these are just people whom I happened to know without having any real involvement in science there.)

I haven't seen the West Campus other than in pictures; it looks like a nice suburban office park. Meh. Every major university has been building STEM facilities like crazy over the past decade. Stanford has built so much in the past 15 years that many areas of the campus are almost unrecognizable. (If you like the Yale West Campus, you would looooove Stanford.)
  • PlannerPlanner Registered User Posts: 616 Member
    I'm not sure it would be a no-brainer to choose Stanford over Harvard for CS. For one thing, most students change their minds about their major, so OP might decide to major in something else after getting there. Also, some schools prefer to take grad students from a different undergraduate institution. So if OP was thinking of going to Stanford for grad school, choosing Harvard might be the better way to go. Finally, Harvard recently received a huge donation in CS. These sorts of decisions are very hard—and OP might well have to choose, despite the odds, given the early acceptance to Harvard. I'd recommend visiting both places and talking extensively to students and faculty about all aspects of being a student there, then deciding. Either school would probably be fine, but the experiences would likely be very different, if for no other reason than their locations.
This discussion has been closed.