Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Getting in is starting to go to my head!

2»

Replies to: Getting in is starting to go to my head!

• Regurge01Regurge01 Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    @Tperry1982‌ you are a gentlewomen and a scholar!
  • GreatKidGreatKid Registered User Posts: 637 Member
    Tperry1982 has stated it perfectly in my opinion. You deserve to be there and you are not alone in your concerns, which is perfectly normal. Our daughter just completed her first semester at Harvard, she had come from a very small High School that is located in a rural community, not a feeder school by any stretch of the imagination. She loves it there and is doing wonderfully. I anticipate your experience will be the same. Best Wishes!
  • laticheverlatichever Registered User Posts: 1,520 Senior Member
    ^^I wonder if there is a problem for some kids who made it through until college on natural smarts finding they have to work hard for the first time in their academic lives--and not having yet developed the skills to do so.
  • GreatKidGreatKid Registered User Posts: 637 Member
    latichever, I am sure this is the case for some of the students, although I find it hard to imagine. These kids have to be so across the board strong that I believe it would be really hard to coast. Beyond pure grades and standardized test scores, you have the recommendations, the EC's, the various types of awards and recognition, the demonstration of character etc.
    Things did not come easy for our daughter, she had to work hard and apply herself. I used to sit for hours with her at our dining room table to provide her with company and moral support. I would tell her that her having to work like she did was a blessing because she was developing an ethic and she would know what to do if any of her studies ever became difficult.
    I was amazed and continue to be amazed at how many things have to come together to be accepted at the most selective schools. We are incredibly thankful that she is there. She loves it and that is what every parent wants for their child.
  • JustOneDadJustOneDad Registered User Posts: 5,845 Senior Member
    I have to note that this thread is not without it's dark side. Every year, students commit suicide because they feel they can't live up to whatever expectations they attribute to the university they got admitted to.
  • laticheverlatichever Registered User Posts: 1,520 Senior Member
    ^^Or they go in clinically depressed--which is different. College may be a trigger, but not the cause.
  • Tperry1982Tperry1982 Forum Champion Yale Posts: 1,574 Forum Champion
    I agree. College issues can be a trigger. Just like boyfriend/ girlfriend problems, getting a bad grade on a test ,etc. there is usually another underlying problem. Kids who commit suicide cause they don't get into college are rare. There are tens of thousands of kids that don't get into "dream" colleges each year.
  • merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 8,633 Senior Member
    Up-thread: "Just my .02 cents."

I'm only commenting because I've seen this elsewhere on CC. I assume you mean 2 cents or $.02, but not 1/50th of a cent. In any event, your post was worth more than either.
2»
This discussion has been closed.