Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Strange email

craigvscraigvs Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited February 2015 in Harvard University
I applied early action for Harvard and was deferred. I interviewed in November. What is strange is that I got an emailing requesting another interview in March. The way the worded it is weird and makes me think it means more than just the regular process:

The Harvard College admissions committee has been meeting for the past several months and will be making final decisions soon. (Name), Admissions Officer at Harvard College, has requested that fourteen Long Island students have a second interview on Saturday morning, March **, 2015 at location."

Everything is verbatim; I took out name date and location myself.

Replies to: Strange email

• arabm2arabm2 Registered User Posts: 207 Junior Member
    Check out this thread:
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/harvard-university/1294464-second-group-interview-from-harvard-p1.html

Your situation's identical to the one mentioned aha! :D ^ Seems to be a good sign. Good luck!
  • gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,418 Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    Sometimes second interviews are given by Admissions Officers when further information on an applicant is needed. The AO is basically fact-checking, or gathering more information, trying to decide if an applicant merits bringing before the whole committee. Sometimes second interviews are given by Admissions Officers because the first alumni interview was inconclusive or somehow lost.

From the sound of the email -- "fourteen Long Island students have a second interview" -- it sounds like a localized issue, meaning the alumni that interviewed you somehow messed up and the Admissions Office wants to make sure they don't over look anyone. That would be my take on it. I wouldn't take it as a positive sign, but another chance to sell yourself.

Best of luck to you and the other 13 students from Long Island!
This discussion has been closed.