Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

To Harvard Class of 2020 Applicants

124»

Replies to: To Harvard Class of 2020 Applicants

• gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,417 Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    @Roadtotheives98: Yes, that's true. The first question students encounter on the DEMOGRAPHICS section
    Are you Hispanic or Latino?
    - Yes
    - No

Then . .
    Regardless of your answer to the prior question, please indicate how you identify yourself. (Select one or more)
    - American Indian or Alaska Native
    - Asian
    - Black or African American
    - Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
    - White

Each box that you check brings up a sub-set of additional questions and checkboxes
    AMERICAN INDIAN OR ALSKA NATIVE
    Which best describes your American Indian or Alaskan Native background?
    - Alaska Native
    - Chippewa
    - Choctaw
    - Cherokee
    - Navajo
    - Sioux
    - Other _________

ASIAN
    Which best describes your Asian background?
    - China
    - India
    - Japan
    - Korea
    - Pakistan
    - Philippines
    - Vietnam
    - Other East Asia _________
    - Other South Asia _________
    - Other Southeast Asia _________

BLACK OR AFRICAN AMERICAN
    Which best describes your Black or African American background?
    - U.S. / African American
    - Africa
    - Caribbean
    - Other________________

NATIVE HAWIAN OR OTHER PACFIFC ISLANDER
    Which best describes your Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander background?
    - Guam
    - Hawaii
    - Samoa
    - Other Pacific Islands (excluding Philippines)__________

WHITE
    Which best describes your White background?
    - Europe
    - Middle East
    - Other_____________

In addition, there is also a question about CITIZENSHIP
    Select your citizenship status
    - U.S. Citizen or US National
    - U.S. Dual Citizen
    - U.S. Permanent Resident or Refugee
    - Other (non-US) ________

Keep in mind that some high school transcripts list a student's ethnicity. And when student's take the SAT/SAT SUBJECT TESTS/ACT/AP TESTS there are also questions to fill out about ethnicity. The answer to those testing-ethnicy questions are reported to colleges along with your test scores.

If your Common Application is not in-sync your transcript or testing information, Admissions will usually contact you high school guidance counselor for confirmation of your ethnicity, minority and citizenship status.

And during the interview process, most interviewers ask an applicant about their family, where their parents are from, if they have brothers, sisters etc. All of the information from the interview report has to be in-sync with the Common Application and testing information.

Misinformation often can torpedo an application. See Harvard's disclaimer on their website:
    MISREPRESENTATION OF CREDENTIALS

Be completely accurate in your application materials. If we discover a misrepresentation during the admissions process, you will be denied admission. If you have already been admitted, your offer will typically be withdrawn. If you have already registered, your admission will normally be revoked, and we will ask you to leave the College. We will even rescind degrees upon discovering misrepresentations in application materials.

The determination that an application is inaccurate or contains misrepresentations rests solely with the Admissions Office and will be resolved outside the student disciplinary process.

• samuelfrimpssamuelfrimps Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    @harvard629 I am from Ghana and I have a friend who scored 2300+ for SAT1 and 2380 for subject test , which is a rare score for an African, refused admission to havard for fall 2019. So being a URM doesn't really contribute a lot to your application but it is how you present yourself through your application.

@hvbaozi20 Count me in the group. I will share the link with friends who are not on CC but share the same dream.
  • ivyfantasistivyfantasist Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    If you would all like, I'm willing to great the Facebook group. Are you guys interested?
  • axvd97axvd97 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    I'm thinking about applying to Harvard this fall as well. Sometimes I don't think I should even bother applying, but Harvard is such a beautiful school in a superb location, and you never know if you never try. I'm glad to know I'm not alone here. My ACT is a 32 and I'm taking it again and I'm also a dual citizen-anything helps I guess! Good luck to all!
    Also is there a Facebook group for this?
  • CollegeEducationCollegeEducation Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    @harvard629 And @axvd97 gibby and others are trying to tell you not to get your hope up so high! No applicants can comfortably say he/she will get accepted for sure. Unless he/she is top 10 nationally ranked athlete with 3.90+ GPA uw and 2200+ SAT and/or 33+ ACT.
    Every applicants applies with confident but the unknown and uncertainty remains at 99.99999%!

Remember, admission rate at Harvard is just 5%. Harvard prob rejected many URM applicants with 3.9+ GPA and 2200+ SAT AND 34+ACT each year.

So, even if you are an URM you better have good GPA and Scores [3.70+, 2159+ / 33+] and that is just the min. bar for AO consideration.

Good Luck Applying....!
  • love2bnanalove2bnana Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    @Harvard629 - Good luck to you with your Harvard application. You have a very touching story. Don't ever let anyone discourage you from your dreams. If you don't apply you have 0% chance of getting in :)
  • isaiahhcisaiahhc Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I am happy that you are so eager! I was recently rejected for the Harvard Class of 2020, and the best advice I can tell you is to be your genuine self. Also, remember this is a school/institution/business. The worst thing that can happen is that you don't get accepted. However, the essays that you write, the letters of rec you receive; those should all remind you of how capable you are. For me, just seeing how willing everyone was to write a rec for me, and how much I have faced rejection and rose from it in my essays, reminded me of my capabilities. In the end, Mozart is Mozart no matter where he goes. Same for you, same for me.
  • johonmillajohonmilla Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    Hey I share that dream too, planning to do their astrophysics concetration
124»
This discussion has been closed.