right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Harvard to Bar Members of All-Male Clubs From Leading Groups

Dave_BerryDave_Berry 492 replies2499 postsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
"Students who join Harvard's male-only social clubs won't be able to serve as sports captains or leaders of other campus groups starting in fall 2017.

The new policy, announced Friday by Harvard's first female president, also applies to other unofficial single-gender groups on campus, including fraternities and sororities. Top officials at the university have been pushing those groups to stop excluding students based on gender even though they aren't officially recognized by the school." …

Choices have consequences.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/harvard-bar-members-male-clubs-roles-38928184
82 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Harvard to Bar Members of All-Male Clubs From Leading Groups

• gibbygibby 10528 replies246 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2016/5/6/college-sanctions-clubs-greeklife/
    Starting with Harvard’s Class of 2021, undergraduate members of unrecognized single-gender social organizations will be banned from holding athletic team captaincies and leadership positions in all recognized student groups. They will also be ineligible for College endorsement for top fellowships like the Rhodes and Marshall scholarships.

“[T]he discriminatory membership policies of these organizations have led to the perpetuation of spaces that are rife with power imbalances,” Khurana wrote. “The most entrenched of these spaces send an unambiguous message that they are the exclusive preserves of men. In their recruitment practices and through their extensive resources and access to networks of power, these organizations propagate exclusionary values that undermine those of the larger Harvard College community.”
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • 3girls3cats3girls3cats 1994 replies6 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    This action includes not just the final clubs but all the unrecognized Greek organizations on campus.
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 10628 replies76 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    Single gender organizations that are recognized by Harvard, such as the South Asian Men's Collective and the Association of Black Harvard Women are not included in these new policies.So what exactly is being addressed, because single gender membership is not the focus apparently.

This new action is probably partly to preserve federal funding, but will certainly affect alumni/ae donations, particularly from men who were part of the finals clubs when they were an important part of Harvard life.

edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • gibbygibby 10528 replies246 postsRegistered User Senior Member
  • Penn95Penn95 2283 replies78 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    It seems to me like Harvard has the responsibility to provide other outlets for social life to their students like allowing spaces for parties and organizing events in order to provide students with alternatives. Also students must take responsibility for themselves and stop going to these clubs if indeed they are so toxic and abhorrent and find something else to do in that wonderful city they are lucky to live in. However policing how students choose to associate is not an appropriate response. I don't think restricting and regulating the way some students choose to spend their social life is the way to go.
    Also actually the overwhelming majority of sexual assault cases do not happen in the premises of the final club houses or by final club members. This is not about sexual assault, it is about Harvard trying to combat "elitism" and "exclusivity". How ironic...
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55108 replies2859 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    Under the new policy, students who join single-gender groups will also be prohibited from getting the dean's endorsement for scholarships. The rule will apply to all new students starting with the freshman class entering in the fall of 2017
    what scholarships?
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • musicmeritmusicmerit 1001 replies215 postsRegistered User Senior Member
  • GreatKidGreatKid 628 replies16 postsRegistered User Member
    I believe they have gone to far. They blanketed Fraternities and Sororities in the mix to have it appear that they were not singling out Final Clubs. Is there a concern about sexual assault in Sororities? To deny kids leadership positions because they are in a Sorority or a Fraternity is ridiculous! They have gone to far and I hope it back fires on them terribly. I am a huge fan of Dean Khurana, he is so approachable and so involved in student life at Harvard. This decision/action is very disappointing to me.
    In my opinion it most negatively impacts Woman's organizations whose mission in many/most cases is to advance Women's rights and advancement in society. This is a significant blow to them.
    What about Hasty Pudding? I am aware that it accepts male as well as female students, but from an elitism point of view if Harvard had that particular concern they would be going after them.
    There will be an uproar and backlash, this will be a controversy for quite some time.
    · Reply · Share
  • higheredmomhigheredmom 182 replies11 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Going after the low hanging fruit of Greek organizations in the well-intentioned effort to address sexual assault is far too simplistic for Harvard. What about single-sex athletic teams and the alcohol-fueled parties they throw not unlike their Greek brethren? and in doing so, sororities get painted with the same (Crimson) brush.
    · Reply · Share
  • bordertexanbordertexan 301 replies3 postsRegistered User Member
    @3girls3cats If Harvard is attempting to deal with what you refer to as a very real problem of sexual assault, why are they allowing some single sex clubs to be excluded from the new rule? As another poster noted, the South Asian Mens Collective is not included in the new policy. Is it Harvard's position that South Asian Men would not sexually assault someone? IMO, this new rule is to intended to take down white men.
    · Reply · Share
  • 3girls3cats3girls3cats 1994 replies6 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Those are on campus groups sanctioned by the school and over which the school has control. Not the same at all.
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 10628 replies76 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    There is debate going on about the statistics in the study on sexual assault, and causation versus correlation. And most assaults happen in the dorms. However, Harvard has to address this in order to maintain federal funding, I believe.

There are exclusive country clubs that still have the male name and then the wife as "Mrs. X" in parentheses. There used to be a continuum from prep school to Harvard finals club to country club and often investment management and such. This patrician culture is almost dead, aristocracy being replaced by meritocracy. The 60's pretty much set this in motion.

I think the fact that certain minority-focuses single gender organizations are recognized and not affected by this new policy is very interesting. I suppose they can say the function of the organizations I mentioned above is more than social, and perhaps constitutes some sort of affirmative action. But I think that this kind of apparently discriminatory application of the new policy must pose legal issues.
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity