Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Harvard University Class of 2023 SCEA Applicants

Replies to: Harvard University Class of 2023 SCEA Applicants

• RecruitedSwimmerRecruitedSwimmer Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Received package in the mail yesterday.
  • rjqz18rjqz18 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    My S applied RD weeks ago, still do not get interview invitation. Is it abnormal?
  • jzducoljzducol Registered User Posts: 581 Member
    For those of you lucky enough to receive a thick envelop of official certificate of acceptance from Harvard you may want to look out for some Christmas card from Harvard Admissions too. I know many kids last year received hand written Christmas cards from their admission officers who mentioned their applications and welcomed them personally. It was a great touch by Harvard Admissions staff.
  • taehyungtaehyung Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    @jzducol would these cards already have been mailed/received by now?
    Update, got my card today. It was very sweet and also surprising in what my AO decided to mention about my application.
  • crazyforhorsescrazyforhorses Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    @taehyung You've made me curious! Mind my asking what specifically the AO mentioned that surprised you? Thanks :)
    @crazyforhorses My application was pretty STEM-heavy, but they focused on how important my cultural backgrounds were to me.
  • oRcHiD4oRcHiD4 Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    Y'all.

David Hogg is Harvard 2023.

I officially agree with Harvard that I don't deserve to go.
  • StanfordOrBust19StanfordOrBust19 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    Guys, did anyone from India get into Harvard in the SCEA round?
  • drumminggeek87drumminggeek87 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    Is anyone who got deferred at all clear on what steps Harvard wants us/allows us to take? I feel like the instructions they gave in the deferral letter were pretty short and sweet, so I was interpreting that as not wanting tons of extra materials, so my plan was to basically send a quick letter of continued interest and make sure they get 1st semester grades obviously. But when I was looking up general information about what to do after getting deferred, there seemed to be lots of conflicting opinions on what you should send.

Does anyone know what Harvard typically wants from deferred applicants? One site I saw said you could update anything "not written well" in your initial application, which I'd personally love to do for my essays, but I kind of thought that you weren't allowed to update your essays unless it was to correct factual errors. Even if you can't submit revised essays, however, is it appropriate to mention in an LOCI that you recognize some of the issues that exist in your essays and maybe didn't feel as happy with them as you would've liked to? I was also wondering if it would be okay to upload supplementary materials (essays I wrote and am proud of that relate to my area of study) that I opted not to submit back in November, but now actually feel proud enough of to submit?

Another question I had was if talking at all about personal issues you've dealt with throughout the fall that may have changed your perspectives a little bit would be considered appropriate. I've had a really rough senior year so far in terms of my personal life, and while I don't ever want to seem like I'm making excuses for the quality of my application, I do think it's important context, and that these issues I've faced have caused some important shifts in my personal point of view, and also helped to further confirm my interest in Harvard in that regard. Should I include this or not mention it?

I know this is long and rambling, as I've been working on RD apps for days and am exhausted, so please let me know if any clarification is necessary.
  • dreamthief001dreamthief001 Registered User Posts: 204 Junior Member
    have any other RD applicants not received a portal yet?
  • Wombat921Wombat921 Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    @jzducol Agreed. What a nice touch!
  • shinnieshinnie Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    @drumminggeek87 hey i've been having a really tough senior year too, best of luck to you, and im still debating whether if i should send an update email
  • sajju786sajju786 Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    Any help with Alumni Interview, my S is scheduled for one on Jan 13th this Sunday?
    How much does the Alumni Interview matter?