Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Harvard University Class of 2023 SCEA Applicants

Replies to: Harvard University Class of 2023 SCEA Applicants

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 38,232 Super Moderator
    how complete should this application be for Harvard to start with?
    @Dataminer Your part of the application must be sent complete, including your essays. LoRs. test scores,etc can be sent later. You can send a revision to your essays, but for many reasons, I'd suggest not sending until you are satisfied with your essays.

To be clear on my opinion of sending the application early: other than getting it off your plate, the only advantage is Harvard's. It gives them time to organize your file, but your application will not be read by an AO any earlier.

Interview scheduling is totally out of admissions hands; that's handled by the alumni office and it mainly depends upon interviewer availability. I'd read nothing into the timing of when you are contacted for an interview.
  • DataminerDataminer Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    Is there word count limitation to letters of recommendation?
  • CedolinoCedolino Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey all!
    I am international applicant and will apply Harvard EA in a couple of weeks.

I am legally blind, my GPA is over 3.9, TOEFL 107, SAT Math2 780, will take SAT in two days where I expect to score approx. 1500.
    I have one main extracurriclular activity and it doesn't leave me much time to do other things. I am paraalpine skier and have competed at the recent Paralympic Games in March in PyeongChang where I have also been flag bearer for my country at the Opening ceremony Parade of nations.

Good luck to all!
  • ebxl30ebxl30 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi everyone!

I'm applying to colleges for the second time this year, but I'll be applying to Harvard EA for the first time.

I graduated with a 4.5 weighted GPA, 1540 SAT, 800 Math II, 750 French, 730 Chemistry, and 710 Physics. I've been playing violin since I was around 6 years old, and I've attended programs such as BU's Tanglewood Institute, and the Aspen Music Festival, and a slew of other performing groups that I don't feel is important to mention here. I was an active member of my school's Model UN and Political Science Club, and regularly went to MUN and Youth in Government conferences. I'm also the vice president of the youth part of a local organization called Asian Americans for Tennessee, where we aim to increase voter turnout and spread political awareness, especially at a regional level.

I'm not sure what even counts as a good gap year at this point, and the reason I took one in the first place was because my attitude towards learning and approaching goals wasn't ideal for any university. I've taken up a violin teaching assistant job at a local Catholic school, and I'm teaching private lessons as well. I've also started an Arabic class online.

Good luck to everyone who's applying!
  • cassiehaj19cassiehaj19 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello all!!

I submitted my application on September 12th, and had an interview with an alumni two weeks later. I just got a call from admissions offer; GREAT news to hear after coming out of a movie theatre!! Obviously not an acceptance until December, but getting a likely letter/call was unbelievable. Good luck to all!
  • RedHikerRedHiker Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    edited October 4
    @cassiehaj19 Congratulations! Out of curiosity, are you a recruited athlete? I thought likely letters were only used in the RD pool.
  • gabby980gabby980 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Who is and who isn't submitting a supplemental essay in addition to the commonapp essay?
  • RedHikerRedHiker Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    I submitted one. I've heard that it's not really "optional" if you're serious about getting in.
  • emeraldhearts39emeraldhearts39 Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    Is anyone here submitting a music portfolio? Or have any tips on how to choose repertoire and record? Newbie here and my private lesson teacher never experienced submitting supplemental music materials since she just did live auditions. Thank you!
  • neurochicneurochic Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    What is the supplement essay for Harvard?
  • n00tedn00ted Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    edited October 16
    Hey,

So I literally just realized that I forgot to self report my AP scores but mentioned my AP awards, will that hurt my application? I really don’t want to email Harvard about it...
    I forgot to self report my AP scores but mentioned my AP awards, will that hurt my application? I
    No
  • n00tedn00ted Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    edited October 16
    @skieurope Should I upload a file with my reported scores to the portal or just leave it be? My transcript also contains my AP scores but I’ve heard that they don’t read it. I’m probably stressing out about this too much.
    edited October 16
    @skieurope Should I upload a file with my reported scores to the portal or just leave it be? My transcript also contains my AP scores but I’ve heard that they don’t read it.
    It's up to you. But since they are on your transcript, IMO, it does not matter. You list your GPA on the Common App, but the AO is still going to review the transcript.
    I’m probably stressing out about this too much.
    Yup. :)
  • neurochicneurochic Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Is it a good idea to write all 3 supplemental essays?