right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new look with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return on Nov. 24. Read more about this here!

Harvard On-Campus Spanish Language Verification Exam Help/Details

nchsstudentnchsstudent 7 replies7 threads New Member
I'm a rising freshman and I was wondering what the format of the Language Verification Exam in Spanish at Harvard is like.

Are there just reading and listening sections, or are there writing/speaking sections, too?
What is the level of the grammar and vocabulary like? Is it similar/more difficult than the SAT/AP?
What would be the best way to prepare for this test? Are there vocab lists out there?

Any details would be much appreciated.
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Harvard On-Campus Spanish Language Verification Exam Help/Details

• gibbygibby 10541 replies249 threads Senior Member
    edited August 2018
    My guess is that foreign language exam is at the same level as the SAT/AP, as a passing score of 700 on the FL SAT, or a 5 on the foreign language AP, exempts a student from having to take a foreign language course at Harvard. In addition see: https://placement-info.fas.harvard.edu/language
    Please take the online language placement exams on a computer with a high-speed internet connection as there are multiple sound files that must be downloaded for the listening sections.
    edited August 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 42310 replies8428 threads Super Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Please take the online language placement exams on a computer with a high-speed internet connection as there are multiple sound files that must be downloaded for the listening sections.
    That's for the online version @gibby . The OP is asking about the follow-up to the online exam given during Opening Days.
    https://placement-info.fas.harvard.edu/lve

So, for the OP, I don't have first-hand knowledge, as I fulfilled via AP, but I seem to remember some discussion among others in my entryway. My understanding is that it is similar to the Spanish with listening Subject Test, maybe a small step up, but easier than AP. I know for some languages, an oral interview is included, but I don't know if it's part of the Spanish/French/ LVE. There really is no prep involved; you either know the material or you don't. I suppose if you're so inclined you can review your old notes and/or get a Subject Test prep book.
    edited August 2018
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity