Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance Me: Harvard EA

2»

Replies to: Chance Me: Harvard EA

• compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 9,849 Senior Member
    Gibby just posted a good article on 52 reasons people get deferred. Your chances are low as an international, as others have said, but otherwise your profile looks good. Be careful about narrow focus, yes (this is mentioned in the article) and also about coming off as "arrogant" (also in the article). If your application is already in, as it seems, then yes, you are down to some luck (whether the admission officer has had coffee yet, for instance!). Make sure you have other options and try to relax a bit while you wait!
  • Hopper2019Hopper2019 Registered User Posts: 165 Junior Member
    IBlord. As a lowly graduate from one of the other Ivies, and married to a wonderful spouse who went to a non-Ivy, I can assure you that there are a phenomenal number of great schools out there and that this is a journey. For many of you, undergraduate studies are a mere stepping stone to future graduate work, and then there is all that you do with those opportunities on your path to career and life success. For what it's worth, I am in a hiring position for my PE firm and I find our best long-term hires are those that went to their respective state school and killed it, or went to a top 25-50 university and come with experience, dedicated interest, exceptional analytical skills, etc. We certainly don't distinguish candidates within the top 5, 10, 15 or 25 for that matter. Good luck!
  • AlezzzAlezzz Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    Just curious. In statistics provided by Harvard's International Office I selected STUDENT'S, HARVARD COLLEGE (the undergraduate school) and my country. And got "International population over time - 0". Probably never was no one. Does it disadvantage, advantage or doesn't matter?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 38,232 Super Moderator
    edited November 25
    Does it disadvantage, advantage or doesn't matter?
    In terms of you, it doesn't matter, other than the admissions rate of any international applicant is probably half the overall rate. Will Harvard accept an applicant from your country simply to stick a flag on the map? No. Since Harvard does not reveal # of applicants per country, nobody can say why there are no students enrolled from there.
2»