Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Harvard SCEA 2023 International Students Interview

Replies to: Harvard SCEA 2023 International Students Interview

• independent413independent413 Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    Oh, congratulations on receiving your interview btw! That probably means you have a good shot at being accepted. How do you know that the deadline for interview reports was the 25th? Someone on the thread commented they received a request just yesterday.
  • salamandereyessalamandereyes Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    @independent413 Thanks! I’m trying not to keep my hopes up too much, though :-) My interviewer told me the deadline, although it may be region-specific.
  • PeterlimPeterlim Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    @salamandereyes Congratulations! You got a really early interview. Was it with an admissions officer or alumni? I am really surprised it was that early because years ago, someone from Thailand got his 3 days before results came out!!! And another recent one got his around 2 weeks before decisions came out. Also, all admits from Thailand got interviews from admissions officers.
    @Peterlim Thanks! My interview was with an alumni, coordinated by a rep at the Harvard Club in Japan. I’m going to take a wild guess and assume that Thailand’s Harvard Club isn’t as active / have an alumnus willing to coordinate interviews, so the adcoms contact directly?
  • jzducoljzducol Registered User Posts: 542 Member
    Given the data released during the trial and Harvard's admissions thoroughness I would find it improbable that anyone would receive the letter of acceptance before an interview. The interview could be a mere formality but it is check box that has to be ticked off on admissions form for any admit.

But for internationals it is probably true that most admissions take place during the RD. Unlike the US admits where EA vs RD is roughly 1 to 1, the international admits probably have a ratio of 1 to 2 or higher. Last year for example, there were only four admits of Chinese nationality during REA, two of them were attending privates in US and one was a recruited athlete and one was donor's kid. In another word, Harvard admitted no unhooked student inside China during the EA round, but RD saw eight admits. So, for unhooked international applicants, Harvard admission is probably in no rush to interview everyone, as most admissions will happen in RD anyway.
  • worldwide1worldwide1 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    @jzducol Do you know if unhooked internationals (non-Asian) can be admitted SCEA?
  • jzducoljzducol Registered User Posts: 542 Member
    Sure, they can be admitted SCEA, but I imagine their number is small compared to RD.
    @salamandereyes Does the fact that the adcom interviews are usually super late mean something?
  • worldwide1worldwide1 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Why do some people interview with an adcom and not an alumnus?
    @worldwide1 From Thailand, everyone who received an adcom interview got in. Sometimes even after they already received an alumni interview. I think for the South East Asian region, it is a necessary for the adcom people to have talk with the applicant before being admitted.
    edited November 29
    @Peterlim I agree. If it's an adcom interview, I'd imagine the decision to lean toward positive.
  • indianhopeful24indianhopeful24 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Hey I'm from India and have applied REA
    I got an interview, had it on the 10th of Nov
    Where are you from? @indianhopeful24
    And if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats and extracurriculars like?
    @indianhopeful24 Might I also ask if it was with an adcom or alumni?