Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Harvard Class of 2023 RD

Replies to: Harvard Class of 2023 RD

• jordanhestonjordanheston Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    @Futureivy2023 Yes, it was just an email that said an update was made to the portal.
  • popcorn454popcorn454 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    @Futureivy2023 I got in, but got no communication from them at all
  • Futureivy2023Futureivy2023 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    @jordanHeston @popcorn454 Congrats!! Call me paranoid but I am too scared to view my decision and am coming up with theories instead.
  • jordanhestonjordanheston Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    @Futureivy2023 do it! you have nothing to lose. i was honestly the same way, I waited until after I half-ate my dinner and then heaved in nervousness to finally just open it. regardless of what is on that letter, the fact you applied shows a unique form of initiative many students could dream of having. opening it will reveal to you nothing more than what the Committee decided at this single point in time - not you, not your success, not your future.
  • solidcashmoneysolidcashmoney Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    Hi I am an international OOS student, got rejected from Berkeley, Harvard, and Princeton also :(
    SAT 1: 1480 (690 EBRW,790 math)
    SAT 2: 800 in both Physics and Math L2
    Gpa 4.0/4.0 and 4.92/5.00 unweighted
    a few extracurriculars I have been doing for 4 years or more. Applied for mechanical engineering at Berkeley.

Feeling very sad, but still hoping to get into Stanford tomorrow!

Also, I am thinking of submitting an appeal form to Berkeley. I am putting my latest mid-year grades and other awards I have won, should I also include anything else?
  • redcloud17redcloud17 Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    @apparently22 I like your mindset :)

Rejected, but...that's all right. I'm curious, however, how much alumni siblings factor into admissions?
  • apparently22apparently22 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    Article from The Crimson re: admissions this year https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2019/3/29/2023-admit-numbers/
  • DataminerDataminer Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    @solidcashmoney You ought to try Univ of Michigan which has a better program in mechanical engineering. Or any of those big state schools in the midwest, such as Purdue or Ohio State.
  • SiouxPrideSiouxPride Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Hello I am OOS Native American Student
    I have 4.8 W GPA
    Multiple college in the highschool classes
    Good SAT
    Good Subject Tests
    Fantastic extracurricular and essay
    Recommendations 9/10 (My religion teacher give okay rec)

I got in gender studies?
    Is there 2023 Acceptance Facebook page?
  • apparently22apparently22 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    edited March 29
    @SiouxPride Congrats! I think you can go back to the Harvard admissions website (not the portal) and they should have something like "admitted students" at the top of the page and click there. They provide the links to the admitted students facebook page. Again congrats!
  • isfj2019isfj2019 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    If accept WL here how does it impact other admitted schools?
  • waiting4rejectswaiting4rejects Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I got accepted yesterday !!!
    Does anyone know if there is a groupme for prospective harvard students ?
  • gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,751 Senior Member
    edited March 29
    @isfj2019 wrote "If accept WL here how does it impact other admitted schools?"

It doesn't impact other admitted schools at all. Here's what happens:

You agree to accept a spot on Harvard's waitlist. Then, by May 1st, you must also accept an offer from a college that admitted you. In most cases -- aside from HYP -- the accepted student must put down a deposit by May 1st at the college they have agreed to matriculate to.

Harvard won't know how many spots are available for waitlisted students until AFTER May 1st. So you wait. In the past, there have been about three rounds of waitlisted notifications starting around mid-May and going until mid-June.

If you hear nothing from Harvard, you do nothing. If Harvard calls (yes, they actually telephone you, they don't email waitlisted students), you will have about a week to consider Harvard's offer. If you accept Harvard's offer of acceptance from the waitlist, you must immediately let the college you agreed to matriculate to know you are withdrawing your acceptance. In most instances you will lose your deposit at the college you initially agreed to attend. That's the entire process. The college you agree to matriculate to understands the waitlist process, as most likely they too have a waitlist.
  • isfj2019isfj2019 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    @gibby Thanks a lot, well understood.
  • Illuminate27Illuminate27 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    @Futureivy2023, accepted here, no communication from Harvard prior to decision notification at all.