Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Harvard Class of 2023 RD

Replies to: Harvard Class of 2023 RD

• BKSquaredBKSquared Registered User Posts: 1,086 Senior Member
    I don't know gibby. If an interviewer really rips into an interviewee because of an inappropriate remark or the interviewee shows a total lack of interest or understanding of the college, that might send up a red flag. The context of the excerpts were examples for interviewers on how to write reports that are just not conclusory but which have contextual back-up (good and bad examples). If a student's application, especially the LoR's, are particularly strong, I don't thing an "average/ok" interview report will shoot the applicant down. I think the AO is going to give much more weight to an assessment of a teacher(s) who has worked closely with a student over a period of time than an half hour to 1 hour interview with a complete stranger with limited training.

I do agree though that sometimes candidates may be better off not having an interview if they are awkward in personal interactions or are prone to putting their foot in their mouths.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,969 Super Moderator
    edited February 18
    For example, this from Yale: https://asc.yale.edu/samplereports
    The examples are not glowing, to be sure, but they are hardly disastrous. And to draw conclusions is to assume facts not in evidence. Unless a school is only interviewing the 2000 applicants in whom they are really interested (without reading tea leaves about what the interview priority codes really mean), my opinion is that the example interviewer notes mirror those of the AO group already. I cannot imagine that example #1 had an application that screamed "perfect fit." IMO, unless the interview is soooo bad (like @BKSquared 's examples, any weight of any interview to HY will be a feather at best.
  • TheGuy1TheGuy1 Registered User Posts: 531 Member
    @skieurope This is what i was trying to convey across regarding the interview itself. Thanks for further clarifying.
  • HARVARDPENNHARVARDPENN Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Have international (India) interview requests for Harvard gone out yet? I finished my Yale, Princeton, Penn, Duke interviews last month. But still haven't received one for Harvard :(
    @HARVARDPENN It all depends on Alum availability at that time and place. There is no such date for requests that is sent for all applicants within a country. Maybe there are groups that moderate requests, but it doesnt matter if no alums are present.
  • gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,669 Senior Member
    edited February 19
    @HARVARDPENN: India is one of the countries that Harvard has labeled as having limited interviews. My take on that: you should NOT expect to receive an interview from Harvard. See: https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/application-process/what-we-look/interviews
    If you are located in one of these countries, you are in an area where we have a limited number of interviewers. If the Admissions Committee requires more information about you, you will be contacted by the Admissions Office. If you are not interviewed, it will not adversely affect your candidacy:
    @gibby so does that mean theres preselection of apps for interviews in such places for Harvard? For example: apps who the Adcom have narrowed down get one? or Apps in such places requiring more data (about the personality) to form an admissions decision get on? It'll be a great help if someone clarifies this.
    @BKSquared Thats true too.
    edited February 19
    @TheGuy1: In 2014, @T26E4, a Yale alumni interviewer and CC member, who is no longer active on CC, sent me this info . . . .
    Update on interviewing for Yale. I met w/my area alum coordinator recently. Due to the # of apps, indivdual regional coordinators are submitting a "high priority" list and a "low priority" list to the directors in late January. Obviously, the high priority people are definitely under consideration and Yale would like more info. Don't know if the Low people are definite rejects on early read or not....

Thus the landscape changes due to the overwhelming # of apps vs interviewers.

Five years later, in 2019, with the ever increasing number of RD applicants, Yale (and HPSM) must be preselecting applicants for interviews based on a "high priority" and "low priority" list.

That would mean that if an applicant has not heard anything about an interview by the first of March, Admissions has deemed them a "low priority" candidate and the applicant should prepare themselves for a rejection letter (sorry).
    Alright! @gibby I've had my interviews/have them scheduled for he next few days for all the colleges I've applied to.

But does this mean that even with an interview, an alum (not in the adcom) deems the applicant as High/Low priority? I genuinely dont think so. Since in many cases, alums interview only one applicant in an area, at least quite some that ive sat for have admitted to this, I doubt that they can classify apps this way. It definitely seems like a possibility, but I'd say only for alums interviewing a bunch of apps.

But then this leads me to another set of questions: Since some interviews are informative, surely they shouldnt matter in the application process? And the ones that are evaluative, arent they evaluated by the adcom, and not the alum? (Since the alum just writes a report off the gathered notes/pointers from the conversation).

This seems too complex and scary. Thanks.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,969 Super Moderator
    edited February 19
    an alum (not in the adcom) deems the applicant as High/Low priority?
    An alum is not making that determination; it comes from much higher up the food chain.
    surely they shouldnt matter in the application process?
    I gave my opinion on this higher up on the page.
    FWIW: The "High/Low priority" directive comes from the Admissions office (NOT the alumni chapter).

And, as I've replied to you in other posts: IMHO, the interview is just NOT informative but acts to weed out applicants who are not a good fit for the college,
    @gibby Gotcha. @skieurope Thanks for your helpful insights. I understand.

So basically the low priority ones are the 'weed outs'? I'm speculating here.

So in this case I'm guessing an interview helps aid the overall personality of the applicant portrayed, and thus help give them a high/low priority as a result?

Thanks!
  • YaleMITYaleMIT Registered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
    Did Harvard say more than 15,000 alumni/ae help them recruit students from all 50 states and from around the world? I think there are plenty alumni for the interview, at least within the State. So no need to over analysis it.