Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What to wear for Harvard interview at Wells Fargo?

dot228dot228 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
We're meeting at a Wells Fargo in the richest area around here. My interviewer graduated in the 70s, super successful (as per linkedin). I'm female. What should I wear?

Thank you!

Replies to: What to wear for Harvard interview at Wells Fargo?

• allyphoeallyphoe Registered User Posts: 2,039 Senior Member
    Clothing that is clean and tidy and makes you feel confident.
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 10,170 Senior Member
    Don't worry about this too much. Slacks or skirt, with top and sweater if appropriate. Just look neat. Not a big deal.
  • chb088chb088 Registered User Posts: 704 Member
    What are your options? Do you have a nice pants suit?
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 5,893 Senior Member
    edited January 12
    If you want to fit in, a conservative outfit--dress or pants suit, if you want to get noticed, a hat, dark glasses & a bandana around the lower portion of your face.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,006 Senior Member
    I’d dress nicely in this situation. Slacks or skirt, not revealing (no cleavage, skirt not too short).

As an aside, I assume you know that people can see when you look at their LinkedIn profile. (If they bother to notice). No problem in this situation, the person would probably expect that you researched them a bit. But just for awareness in the future. :)
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 Registered User Posts: 887 Member
    I agree with dress or pants suit, not revealing, not too short. Adding short, manicured nails and well cared for and clean professional shoes, not stilettos.
    As an aside, I assume you know that people can see when you look at their LinkedIn profile. (If they bother to notice).

You can control in your account settings what others see when you view their profiles...by setting your profile viewing options to private, others will not be able to see that you viewed their profile.
  • chb088chb088 Registered User Posts: 704 Member
    There is no reason to be concerned that someone can see if you viewed their Linked In profile. That is what it is there for.
    edited January 12
    I think a dress or pants suit is overdoing it. This is not an interview for a job at Wells Fargo. The meeting is taking place there for convenience of the interviewer but you don't have to look like you work there. Or look "rich" like the neighborhood where Wells Fargo is located.

Nice, neat pants or skirt is fine. Dress is fine if casual. Relax!
  • dot228dot228 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Thank you everyone! I was freaking out a bit, it's my first interview. I'll be wearing a blouse and dress pants, nice shoes, no blazer.
    Not too casual, but not overdressed either. The location selected by the interviewer should be considered. I might agree with some posts above if you were meeting at a Starbucks, but you are not.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,006 Senior Member
    @Mwfan1921 I don’t think that capability is available in the free version, unless they’ve recently changed that functionality. And a view or two when prepping for an interview is just fine. But it can feel kind of stalkerish if someone repeatedly accesses your profile, or make them wonder why you are looking.
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 Registered User Posts: 887 Member
    edited January 12
    I don’t think that capability is available in the free version, unless they’ve recently changed that functionality.

@intparent I have the free version and it offers 3 choices in settings for what others see when you view their profile, including fully anonymous. Of course a view is appropriate when prepping for an interview, but it's important to know the privacy options, especially if looking for a job when currently employed.
    The location of the interview is not relevant. Besides, high end lawyers dress casually these days: I imagine the same is true at Wells Fargo.
    @compmom: "Besides, high end lawyers dress casually these days...". Even when meeting a potential new client for the first time ?

Also, while location of an interview may not seem important to you, it may well be for others so why not take a safe approach & dress in a respectful fashion ?
    edited January 13
    I don't think overdoing it is a good thing. It can look silly and overanxious And most of all, the important thing is to relax and be yourself. Maybe this is more typical of females,but overdressing always makes me feel like another person and not comfortable in my skin.

Again, the location of the interview is not relevant to wardrobe. The location is for the convenience of the interviewer.

end of debate on this end...promise, skieurope!