Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Harvard Deferral Asteroid Update

HarvardHopeful2019HarvardHopeful2019 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I recently had an asteroid named after me by MIT Lincoln Labs, as a result of winning a grand award at Intel ISEF for research. Also, I was deferred at Harvard during early action. I was wondering if I should notify Harvard now about the asteroid or if I should wait until ivy day to see if I am waitlisted and use the asteroid to try and get off the waitlist.

Replies to: Harvard Deferral Asteroid Update

• gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,671 Senior Member
    Do NOT update Harvard on the asteroid nonsense (you can actually purchase the same thing on the internet — so it’s not a big deal), but DO update them on winning a grand award at InteL ISEF.
  • HarvardHopeful2019HarvardHopeful2019 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    They already know about ISEF.
    edited March 4
    Then don’t update them about the asteroid naming — that’s just silly and will not have any effect whatsoever on your acceptance.
  • QuestarQuestar Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    Hmmm. One can purchase naming “ rights” to stars that no scientific organization recognizes, and that are nothing but a gimmick to separate someone from money - but near-earth objects are a different matter - especially if MIT Lincoln has recognized authority in the Astronomical Union to bestow the honorary sobriquet .
    edited March 4
    Asteroid naming is a gimmick cooked up by MIT Lincoln Labs to promote science: https://www.businessinsider.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-asteroid-2018-6
    Evans and Stokes decided to keep things "honorable" by handing out asteroid names to the winners of top science and engineering fairs for students.

"We didn't want to make it willy-nilly. We wanted to keep it exclusive," Evans told Business Insider. She said first- and second-place winners of three major student competitions, plus some teachers and mentors, get naming rights.

"Usually science people aren't in the newspaper," Evans said. "This is a way to encourage an interest in science because local newspapers will write up, 'Tommy Smith had an asteroid after him.'

Harvard already knows the OP has won a top award at INTEL ISEF -- and that is what is important. As every top award winner also gets an asteroid named after them, I think its safe to assume Harvard also knows that as well.
  • jzducoljzducol Registered User Posts: 617 Member
    I know that one of the Grand Prize winners last year applied to Harvard but did not get in, but she ended up at Stanford, not a bad place to be at all. By my observation, ISEF Grand Prize winners, Olympiad Gold medalists have about 50% chance at Harvard, and almost 100% chance at one of HYPSM. Compared to 2.5% for the unhooked, OP's 50% chance is pretty good, but still not a lock. Nobody has a lock.
  • QuestarQuestar Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    Probably true that they know about the naming,
    but not true that you can purchase this same honor on the web like the nonsensical star ads