Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Harvard Class of 2023 Waitlisted Discussion

LincolnsGFLincolnsGF Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
edited March 29 in Harvard University
Hey there! I didn't see a thread for this, so I decided to make one for all those Harvard waitlisted applicants out there! For those accepting their spots on the waitlist, what additional materials (if any) are guys thinking of sending?

Also, what schools are you guys thinking of committing to in the meantime?

Replies to: Harvard Class of 2023 Waitlisted Discussion

• stressandfinessestressandfinesse Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I might send in an updated resume and another letter of recommendation, but I don’t want to bombard them lol. I am thinking of committing to Barnard, Rice, or UCLA.
  • bertieprcbertieprc Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    How many people are waitlisted at Harvard this year?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 42,917 Super Moderator
    edited March 29
    How many people are waitlisted at Harvard this year?
    Harvard has not released the size of the WL (and won't, if history is a guide). My guess, based on historic WL numbers from Yale and Princeton, that the waitlist size is almost as large as the class size. So I'd say around 1200-1400 for Harvard
  • bertieprcbertieprc Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    Is it my misconception or that more people are waitlisted this year than the last?
  • gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,751 Senior Member
    edited March 29
    FWIW: I just posted this on another thread, but thought I should also post it here.
    "If accept WL here how does it impact other admitted schools?"

It doesn't impact other admitted schools at all. Here's what happens:

If you agree to accept a spot on Harvard's waitlist, you let them know. Then, by May 1st, you must also accept an offer from a college that admitted you. In most cases -- aside from HYP -- the accepted student must put down a deposit by May 1st at the college they have agreed to matriculate to.

Harvard won't know how many spots are available for waitlisted students until AFTER May 1st. So you wait. In the past, there have been about three rounds of waitlisted notifications starting around mid-May and going until mid-June.

If you hear nothing from Harvard, you do nothing. If Harvard calls (yes, they actually telephone you, they don't email waitlisted students), you will have about a week to consider Harvard's offer. If you accept Harvard's offer of acceptance from the waitlist, you must immediately let the college you agreed to matriculate to know you are withdrawing your acceptance. In most instances you will lose your deposit at the college you initially agreed to attend. That's the entire process. The college you agreed to matriculate to understands the waitlist process, as most likely they too have a waitlist.
    Is it my misconception or that more people are waitlisted this year than the last?
    You have no way of knowing. My guess is that the number on the WL is about the same.
  • zazerbayevzazerbayev Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Aside from Harvard, I've also been waitlisted at Yale, Columbia, and UChicago. If, say, I get admitted to Columbia in mid-May and accept, and then am admitted to Harvard in mid-June, would it still be possible to go to Harvard?
    I get admitted to Columbia in mid-May and accept, and then am admitted to Harvard in mid-June, would it still be possible to go to Harvard?
    In that unlikely scenario, yes. You would, however, forfeit your deposit to Columbia (and presumably what ever other college you accepted prior to May 1).
  • esperantistesperantist Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    I've been waitlisted at Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, UPenn, and CMU's School of Computer Science. Right now, I think I have the best (although still a very small) chance of getting into Harvard off the waitlist out of those 5.
  • ibanker38ibanker38 Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    Can everyone share their stats? I'm an asian male from socal. 35 act top 1 percent with national awards. applying for econ major
  • jzducoljzducol Registered User Posts: 716 Member
    The waitlisted are not ranked. It depends on who drops out. If a violinist Asian admit from socal gives up a spot it is more likely the spot will be filled by a waitlister with a similar profile from the same area. I saw that happen last year. The stats at this stage does NOT matter at all; its all about shaping the freshman class with waitlisters.
  • JedBartlettJedBartlett Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    edited April 1
    Question-
    What are the odds of getting deferred EA then waitlisted RD? Is this a common thing, and does it indicate anything for the likelihood of getting off the waitlist?
  • JedBartlettJedBartlett Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    My stats- White male from the Midwest. 36 ACT, 15 AP’s, national merit scholar, congressional app challenge winner, US youth senator, and a few other awards, applying for Political science + computer science
  • LincolnsGFLincolnsGF Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    @jzducol source? weird to think that stats don't matter
  • LincolnsGFLincolnsGF Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    Will admissions call you if you did not get off the WL? Or they only call you to tell you that you did get off? Also, do people who get off the WL get a phone call earlier (say mid-May), than those who don't get off (say mid-June)?