right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Parkland shooting survivor Kyle Kashuv rescinded from Harvard

Cardinal FangCardinal Fang 18342 replies158 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
Harvard has rescinded Kyle Kashuv's acceptance after discovering racist remarks in his past.

The comments included a repetition of the N word, referring to African American athletes as "[N word] jocks," and writing "im really good at typing n***** ok like practice uhhhhhh makes perfect.”

246 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Parkland shooting survivor Kyle Kashuv rescinded from Harvard

• Cardinal FangCardinal Fang 18342 replies158 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I accidentally posted without including further information. The remarks were made in December of 2017, when Kashuv was a 16-year-old sophomore. When they surfaced, Kashuv made a generic apology.
    · Reply · Share
  • anon145anon145 610 replies7 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited June 17
    don't forget his ranting "kill all the F'%$%# in Jews".... All of this shared in a class google doc,, which proves Harvard isn't looking for the best and brightest....
    I mean really, most kids especially those applying to top schools would never do stuff that dumb in a shared google doc with classmates.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/parkland-teen-kyle-kashuv-apologizes-racist-remarks_n_5ce6908be4b09b23e65ead62
    edited June 17
    · Reply · Share
  • GnocchiBGnocchiB 2078 replies230 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 17
    I had read something about his remarks a few weeks ago and wondered why Harvard wasn't doing something about his acceptance.

Cardinal, can you post a link to any statement by Harvard? How did you know he had been rescinded? (not doubting you, just wanting to read more).

ETA, I googled and found his tweets showing the letter from Harvard and trying to explain.
    edited June 17
    · Reply · Share
  • vpa2019vpa2019 516 replies10 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited June 17
    I’m sure no current Harvard students ever say or said such things 😉 and there is no place for forgiveness and recognition of growth and maturity. But Harvard is consistent if nothing else https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2017/6/5/2021-offers-rescinded-memes/
    edited June 17
    · Reply · Share
  • DeepBlue86DeepBlue86 1052 replies6 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What's remarkable is the number of conservative commentators (Kashuv was Turning Point USA's former director of high school outreach and a gun rights activist) bemoaning this as another example of "cancel culture" and online mobbing of someone who'd admitted mistakes made at a younger age and wasn't being given the chance to prove he learned from them. As if Harvard didn't have the right to admit who it wants, for whatever institutional purposes it has, including preventing the campus from being turned into a circus.

Put yourself in Harvard's place, having admitted him and now thinking about what might happen if they let him enroll with all this out there. Imagine students picketing his dorm, disrupting classes he was attending, etc., and alumni and others expressing incredulity that Harvard knew all the things he'd written and still let him come. If you're Harvard, no matter how much you think this kid has grown, are you signing up for that?

I don't think so. Better by far to rescind his acceptance (which he would never have received if this had been known to the admissions office last fall, for the same reasons) and give it to one of possibly thousands of kids on the waitlist who managed to get through their teen years without repeatedly tweeting the n-word. Maybe a perfect-stats Asian, as a gesture toward dealing with another Harvard race-based public relations problem.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 39277 replies7019 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    edited June 17
    preventing the campus from being turned into a circus.
    "Too late" said Ronald Sullivan. Although he likely would have welcomed the spotlight shifting off of him.
    edited June 17
    · Reply · Share
  • makemesmartmakemesmart 1487 replies14 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I hope it is not too late for him to find a school now.
    I didn’t follow his path, did he get into Harvard in the first place because of parkland activism or “normal” application process?
    · Reply · Share
  • vpa2019vpa2019 516 replies10 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited June 17
    Articles say he turned down large scholarship offers to attend Harvard and that he is academically qualified 1550 SAT and 3.9+ gpa... probably a combo of both. My guess is he’ll take a gap year unless he’s extended an olive branch from a comparable institution.
    edited June 17
    · Reply · Share
  • maya54maya54 2150 replies89 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Kid should have tried to go to. Stanford. California state law prohibits this sort of punishment of speech even by private colleges.
    · Reply · Share
  • LynnskiLynnski 245 replies12 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Growth *is* possible. That obviously doesn't mean it's a given.
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2543 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    According to Wikipedia his parents immigrated from Israel, so those anti-Semitic comments are self-loathing?
    · Reply · Share