right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Current Harvard Undergrad, AMA

HarvardCrimHarvardCrim 0 replies1 threads New Member
edited November 25 in Harvard University
I'm currently a student at Harvard College.

I have some free time on my hands so feel free to ask me any questions about the Common App/Harvard supplement/applying or just general questions about Harvard.
edited November 25
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Current Harvard Undergrad, AMA

  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 1617 replies31 threads Senior Member
    Do you feel the student body, as a whole, is extremely well qualified and are you challenged by your peers to be the best "you".

    Some on CC claim that since H (and other ivy colleges) accept are significant number of legacy, athletes, development cases, etc. that H is not getting the best of the best? Thanks.
    · Reply · Share
  • cateblanchetttcateblanchettt 6 replies4 threads New Member
    Do you know anyone who has taken college credits at a different college (maybe one semestet or less) after their highschool grafuation and then applied as a freshman to Harvard?
    · Reply · Share
  • jzducoljzducol 760 replies14 threads Member
    edited November 25
    ...since H (and other ivy colleges) accept are significant number of legacy, athletes, development cases, etc. that H is not getting the best of the best?

    HYPS and other Ivies probably have about 40%-70% hooked students, wouldn't it seem self destructive for the sake of its future graduates achievements? Well, if you apply Pareto Principle (which states that 20% of its students will bring 80% of its impact) it actually makes sense----because if you can pick 20% of the best and then the top 20% of the remaining 80%, 36% of the class will likely get you 96% of the results. So, Harvard and others are not crazy to use only 50% of its class to ensure 99% of their desired outcome and use the rest to advance other institutional objectives.
    edited November 25
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 10931 replies78 threads Senior Member
    edited November 28
    Harvard tries to assemble an interesting class. Terms like the "best of the best" don't really mean anything.
    edited November 28
    · Reply · Share
  • SMTierneySMTierney 3 replies0 threads New Member
    I'm a Harvard alumnus and am so frustrated by the constant criticism of legacy students and/or applicants. Being a legacy AND being really smart/accomplished aren't mutually exclusive. Legacies may have a "hook," but most of the ones I met are absolutely deserving of their spot at Harvard.
    · Reply · Share
  • brownbound01brownbound01 3 replies0 threads New Member
    have any of your fellow batchmates at harvard reported having an alumni interview where they talked less and the interviewer dominated the conversation? i'm an intl SCEA app and i'm terrified about the floor division that went down in my interview
    · Reply · Share
Sign In or Register to comment.

Recent Activity