right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Harvard will hold all 2020-2021 courses online. Tuition stays the same

CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin 2832 replies333 threads Community Manager
edited July 9 in Harvard University
News just broke that Harvard University will hold all courses online for undergraduate and graduate students for the 2020-2021 academic year. While some students will live on campus, they will still take classes remotely.

According to online sources, the undergraduate tuition of $49,653 will stay the same.

Does this change your plans of attending Harvard in the fall? If yes, what options are you considering? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
edited July 9
53 replies
Post edited by CCAdmin_Vic on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Harvard will hold all 2020-2021 courses online. Tuition stays the same

• usma87usma87 506 replies3 threads Member
    I predict a rise in 'gap year' requests.
    · Reply · Share
  • STEM2017STEM2017 4117 replies97 threads Senior Member
    undergraduate tuition of $49,653 will stay the same

Harvard and some others can get away with this, but for many other colleges this won't be tolerated.
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 15892 replies1062 threads Senior Member
    Looking at Harvard's website it appears that the only on campus courses in the Fall are at Harvard Business School and they will be offered synchronously online for those not on campus. 2nd, 3rd and 4th year medical and dental students will be on campus for clinical courses.
    · Reply · Share
  • NascarFedexNascarFedex 80 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Wait, last year's tuition was $47,730 - what is the extra $1,923?
    · Reply · Share
  • Laxmama24Laxmama24 18 replies9 threads Junior Member
    As depressing as it is, Harvard probably made the right decision.
    Having said that, is there any word - from all the colleges out there -- will here still be "roommate situations" ? Or will they start giving single rooms to these kids?
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 15892 replies1062 threads Senior Member

A tuition increase.
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 2192 replies21 threads Senior Member
    And any international students on non-immigrant visas will therefore have to leave the US: https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/sevp-modifies-temporary-exemptions-nonimmigrant-students-taking-online-courses-during
    · Reply · Share
  • LimboKidLimboKid 251 replies3 threads Junior Member
    edited July 6
    Tuition - "staying the same" does not mean "same as 2019-2020". It means staying the same as previously announced for 2020-2021. H wants to make sure no one holds the fantasy of reduced tuition now that everything is moved online with no chance of face2face meetings with profs and TAs. Letter grades will come back though, that must be worth thousands...

Housing - yes, they did announce students will have single rooms.

International - first years living here will be welcomed back no matter the cohort. They don't have anywhere to stay. Those having issues with visa or travel ban will take Harvard Online like everyone else. So for a Japanese kid, daily 3am or 4am sections. Sounds like all 600 international upperclassmen will have to leave before September. If already home, they won't be allowed in until in-person cohorts happen.

Leave of absence applications - I predict a lot. Great for transfer students on wait lists. "Nearly 45 percent of surveyed students reported they were very likely to take a leave in the case of a virtual semester, according to an Undergraduate Council poll run in April."

Gap year application deadline is extended to July 24. I predict very few because most kids are fearless about this second COVID wave with high morbidity but low mortality (just look at malls and beaches everywhere). They are more willing to risk taking online classes in a singles dorm with no social life than staying home next to parents and siblings. If the parents are not paying for tuition and housing, they won't even have a say.
    edited July 6
    · Reply · Share
  • waitlistedseniorwaitlistedsenior 66 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @SouthernHope Actually this year, Harvard was one of the last Ivies to announce their plans. As far as I know, Princeton announced today as well (and they’re cutting tuition by 10%), and Yale, Penn, Cornell, Stanford and more had announced their plans earlier.
    · Reply · Share
  • LuvbadgersLuvbadgers 38 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @waitlistedsenior Yes, my daughter will be a freshman at Stanford and we found out a while ago that mostl likely, all courses will be online. Per Stanford, “ To ensure that all students have access to the necessary classes for their academic progress, we expect most, if not all, courses to be online for the 2020-2021 academic year.
    · Reply · Share
    @waitlistedsenior is right, Harvard just announced today 7/6. Together with Princeton, H is the last and the most indecisive among all Ivy+ colleges. Quite obvious who is leading whom in this case.

Yale 7/1
    Princeton 7/6
    Stanford 6/3
    Penn 6/25
    Columbia 6/17
    Dartmoth 6/29
    Cornell 6/30
    MIT 6/25
    Chicago 6/30
    · Reply · Share
  • TennisParentTennisParent 130 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Williams announced at 15 percent tuition reduction. The Penn student newspaper cited the Williams reduction as evidence that it can and should be done given the COVID circumstances. Will be interesting to see if others will follow the Harvard or Williams approach. Students are outraged at the cost for just an online education.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 42316 replies2284 threads Super Moderator
    I posted this on my Facebook page and a lot of people, including parents of college students, are defending schools that are not reducing tuition. I was surprised.
    · Reply · Share
  • TennisParentTennisParent 130 replies0 threads Junior Member
    If Williams can reduce tuition by 15 percent and also increase the fin aid family contribution by 15 percent, other schools such as Harvard and Stanford should be able to do the same, I think this is a moment where students and parents should push back on the tuition levels.
    · Reply · Share
    Think Williams is far more nimble at 2,100 enrolled students. Harvard and Stanford enroll about 7,000 each. Easier to change direction with a sports car than a family van.
    · Reply · Share
  • homerdoghomerdog 8394 replies119 threads Senior Member
    edited July 6
    LimboKid wrote: »
    @waitlistedsenior is right, Harvard just announced today 7/6. Together with Princeton, H is the last and the most indecisive among all Ivy+ colleges. Quite obvious who is leading whom in this case.

Yale 7/1
    Princeton 7/6
    Stanford 6/3
    Penn 6/25
    Columbia 6/17
    Dartmoth 6/29
    Cornell 6/30
    MIT 6/25
    Chicago 6/30

Hey. On 6/22, Bowdoin announced all classes online and just freshmen and those who have difficult family situations on campus for fall. Same as Harvard. Beat all of the Ivies to the punch. Lol.
    edited July 6
    · Reply · Share
  • homerdoghomerdog 8394 replies119 threads Senior Member
    edited July 6
    Williams announced at 15 percent tuition reduction. The Penn student newspaper cited the Williams reduction as evidence that it can and should be done given the COVID circumstances. Will be interesting to see if others will follow the Harvard or Williams approach. Students are outraged at the cost for just an online education.

But Williams is highly suggesting that kids take three classes instead of four and also did away with their Jan term. So, in those ways, they are offering less.
    edited July 6
    · Reply · Share
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 2482 replies34 threads Senior Member
    edited July 6

A tuition increase.

They also increased room and board (for the 40% of the undergrads who will actually be on campus) and "fees"!

The year over year increase in tuition, room & board, and "fees" is around 4.0%.

2019/2020 = $69,607 vs.
    2020/2021 = $72,356.

Note this total does not include books, heath insurance, and transportation costs.

Shameful and unconscionable in my opinion. Somehow Princeton can lower tuition by 10% across the board but Harvard with a $40 billion endowment cannot manage to at least keep tuition, R&B, and fees the same as last year?

If you are going to raise tuition for this year then you better be able to deliver....
    edited July 6
    · Reply · Share
  • CasablancaFanCasablancaFan 18 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Amherst is allowing freshmen and sophomores on campus late August in single rooms plus some thesis writing seniors. Juniors and other seniors online. If the school can't return to full capacity in January then those off campus for the fall will have priority to return...which I guess means freshmen and sophomores will move out (that was not really clear in the email). No reduction in tuition mentioned but since my son is a senior who will be at home we don't pay the approximately $20,000 room and board. Personally I would have liked to see priority given to freshmen and seniors for the fall although I guess this is a way to have everyone on campus at least one semester and seniors can be there for graduation. No dining hall - all meals on campus grab and go.
    · Reply · Share