right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Am I like hella screwed

YEIInotsureYEIInotsure 8 replies2 threads New Member
So I’m gonna join the every person ever in highschool on here n ask about college stats. So like I wanted to know if it would b somewhat reasonable for me to get into Harvard REA. My ECs are smth I’m kinda happy with. I started a non-profit that raised about 25K for international education equality, and in a co founder at a nonprofit which helps provide medical equipment around the world (still kinda in the works). I did independent research about mental illness and the neurological basis of it and used it to creat policy change in three states. Im the leader of a nationally based mental health policy change campaign and we’ve gotten a few mental health bills in the making. I’m the debate captain and president. Plus I’m the regional HOSA VP (tho that kinda means nothing). Ummm. I published research in an NIH journal bout neuroscience related things (not like first name or anything lol). Plus a few other like small things. I have some international n state awards too in biology fields :). BUT I kinda messed up my grades n they’re a 3.85 UW gpa and a weighted (unofficial) 4.5. I had a really severe illness from 6-11th grade which got much worse in 10th which is when I got most my B’s but 11th was all A’s btw. My sat is a 1570 and ACT is a 35. Y’all think Harvard is worth trying for or..?
27 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Am I like hella screwed

• YEIInotsureYEIInotsure 8 replies2 threads New Member
    ^^oh btw I wanna apply as a neuroscience major
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 15908 replies1063 threads Senior Member
    edited July 25
    "So like I wanted to know if it would b somewhat reasonable for me to get into Harvard REA. " If by reasonable you mean a 5% chance of admission then yes.

"mmm. I published research in an NIH journal bout neuroscience related things (not like first name or anything lol)." Will the professor with whom you did the research be writing your letter of recommendation?
    edited July 25
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10476 replies124 threads Senior Member
    Be sure your guidance counselor addresses your illness in their LOR.
    · Reply · Share
    ya they should b able to write a LOR about it and a rev letter from the prof I just wanted to know if I would b like wasting my time applying. So thnx :)
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 8043 replies85 threads Senior Member
    Is that UW GPA 3.85/4.0?

If so, how is that "messed up"?

But also, how does that have multiple "Bs"?
    · Reply · Share
    By my school does it by semester so by multiple I mean like 1 B end grade which is technically 2 b ( one for each semester) and like one other B in one semester.
    And ya it’s unweighted :)
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 11632 replies155 threads Senior Member
    Consider Duke University as well as--if I recall correctly--Duke has a brain research institute located on campus.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 24217 replies2431 threads Super Moderator
    edited July 25
    Harvard is a major reach for any unhooked applicant. Their admission rate is around 5%. If you want to apply, then go ahead and give it your all. As discussed above your guidance counselor should note your illness in his/her LOR.

But also.....Expand your horizons. If you don't get into Harvard there are many outstanding colleges and universities where you can study neuroscience, have a great 4 year expereince and get where you wan to go in life. Spend the time and energy to come up with a well balanced college list that includes reach, match, and safety schools that appear affordable (run net price calculator) and that you would be excited to attend.
    edited July 25
    · Reply · Share
    What would count as a hook? Like I’m from a square state n I have like a patent for an invention related to neuroscience. Would that mean anything in terms of a hook?
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 24217 replies2431 threads Super Moderator
    edited July 25
    Very few people have hooks. A hook is a person who fulfills an institutional need of a college ....things like being the child of a huge donor, a recruited athlete, someone who would bring positive publicity to the college etc. If you had a hook you would know it.

While it might be a tad helpful to be from a state that gets fewer than normal applicants to Harvard that would not be a hook -- Harvard always attracts not just a nation-wide but a world-wide application pool. And I would not consider a patent to be a hook unless perhaps it has famously/truly revolutionized the study of neuroscience. Again very few applicants have hooks.

Focus on making your application as strong as you can and once it is submitted move on and apply to other great colleges.
    edited July 25
    · Reply · Share
    Lol thnx. Sry for my trashy grammar by the way. I was kinda treating it like a txt convo. Oop
    · Reply · Share
    Thnx for ur feedback tho :smile:
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 42377 replies2288 threads Super Moderator
    edited July 25
    MODERATOR’S NOTE: The Terms of Service require that posts are in English. “Txt convo” does not count as English. @YEIInotsure
    edited July 25
    · Reply · Share
  • Trish123Trish123 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Personally, I think you have a very strong chance of getting in as long as your essays are good. Clearly, you are very good at neuroscience related stuff, which your extracurriculars back up. Also, you will be applying with strong test scores at a time when not many people have ACT and SAT, so you will get a boost from your scores. Additionally, one B is not going to cause you to get rejected. Having done all the stuff you did with an illness, you have a good chance of getting in.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 2802 replies14 threads Senior Member
    Based on your profile and your interests, if I were you, I wouldn't "waste" your REA on Harvard.

A GPA of 3.85, while in the top 5% of higher of all colleges applicants overall, is still in the bottom of the mid-50% of accepted students, if not in the bottom 25% (their average last year was 3.95). That means that, while you still are competitive, your chances are most likely below average. Average acceptance rate is less than 5%. Now, while REA acceptance rate is 13.4%, this includes recruiter athletes with acceptance rates of 80% or higher, legacies, kids of donors, kids on special lists, etc. Non-hooked kids are likely closer to 7%, and kids whose stats are below average of the accepted students are likely even lower than that.

There are many top schools at which your profile + ED application would put you in a pretty high chances of acceptance category. For Harvard, it may move you from 2% (RD) to 4% or 5%. Realistically speaking, a 95% chance of rejection isn't that different from a 98% chance of rejection.

Good luck, though. As I wrote, your stats make you competitive for a very large range of very good colleges, so I recommend that you start looking through these colleges to find those which are a good fit for you.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 2802 replies14 threads Senior Member
    @blossom Yes and no. Applying to a school one doesn't want ED is not a good idea.

However, I also do not believe that there is One True College for every student. So putting all one's efforts, and all one's hopes and dreams into a college which is almost certain to reject them is a waste of more than ED, but of the next few years.

The OP should first look through the huge number of colleges out there with Neuroscience programs. They should choose one of the colleges which is the best fit to them if they want to apply ED.

The OP is saying two things, the first is "I want to study neuroscience", and the second is "I want to study at Harvard". I think that they should focus on the statement which presents a plan for the OP's next four years and beyond, not one that presents a plan that ends in December.

I also think that there are much better places for the OP, especially if they are not only looking for an undergrad in Neuroscience, but about continuing on to grad school.
    · Reply · Share
  • caroleingcaroleing 4 replies1 threads New Member
    edited July 27
    yikes these responses are very discouraging. I'm a fellow hs class of 2021 student so I certainly don't have any wisdom on this, but good luck! my area of focus is very very far from neuroscience (and tbh there's a very decent chance I won't apply to Harvard), but it's very clear that you've worked incredibly hard all through high school.
    edited July 27
    Post edited by Lindagaf on
    · Reply · Share