right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

How many Indian students apply to harvard

uma1969uma1969 8 replies4 threads New Member
edited July 30 in Harvard University
Does anyone know how many indian students apply to Harvard college every year
edited July 30
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How many Indian students apply to harvard

• skieuropeskieurope 41104 replies7745 threads Super Moderator
    Harvard does. But they're not telling. There are 21 undergrad at Harvard so about 5 per year. My guess is they get about 250 applications to get those 5.

https://hio.harvard.edu/statistics
    · Reply · Share
  • uma1969uma1969 8 replies4 threads New Member
    Thank you
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2488 replies42 threads Senior Member
    edited July 30
    American/Native Indian? International students from the Asian subcontinent? Students of Asian Indian descent?
    edited July 30
    · Reply · Share
    RichInPitt wrote: »
    American/Native Indian? International students from the Asian subcontinent? Students of Asian Indian descent?

I went with option 2 based on OPs post - since deleted - citing international student speaking Hindi and Tamil.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43287 replies471 threads Senior Member
    edited July 31
    I'd read somewhere that they got over 1,000 applications from the Indian subcontinent but i dont remember the source and thus can't vouch whether it's reliable. However 250 would seem very low considering how many academically inclined families there are, with the Ivy league as a goal.
    The basic point @uma1969 is that your odds are very very low, especially if you're a "typical" Indian applicant (high stats, stem focused, upper middle class) since the competition is even harder for that group.
    edited July 31
    · Reply · Share
  • uma1969uma1969 8 replies4 threads New Member
    @MYOS1634 though the odds are very very low, there are kids who get into Harvard from India, there's a kid from my school who got into princeton. My point is:there is a chance that I might get in, and I'll never forgive myself if I don't try. In addition I write great essays. Most of the students who apply to universities outside either don't have great extracurriculars or essay writing skills and they end up listing their academic achievements in their personal statements.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 11003 replies593 threads Super Moderator
    Your odds are very low, but if you’re going to apply anyway, then the number of others who apply doesn’t matter, right? Please understand that it’s a combination of of everything that gets kids in. A great essay won’t hurt, but you need show them how you will add to Harvard’s campus. You need to show them that you provide what they are looking for.

There’s another post somewhere on CC saying that Harvard doesn’t want to admit just the smartest people. They want to admit the people who are going to be on the cover of Newsweek magazine. If you could be one of those people, you need to show them why.
    · Reply · Share
    MYOS1634 wrote: »
    I'd read somewhere that they got over 1,000 applications from the Indian subcontinent but i dont remember the source and thus can't vouch whether it's reliable..

Likely you read it on this site:
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19766226/#Comment_19766226

But I have to point out that as knowledgeable as @gibby is about Harvard, he has as much insider info with admissions as I do - which is none. Bottom line, it's a lot and acceptance rates for Indian applicants are slim. Not to discourage the OP from applying, but s/he needs to know the reality.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43287 replies471 threads Senior Member
    edited August 1
    @uma1969 : definitely apply but also apply to universities that aren't on all top Indian students' lists and be cautious in being too invested since odds are against you. Good luck!

@skieurope : 🤣🙃
    edited August 1
    · Reply · Share