right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Want to know how a college REALLY decides who gets in? Jeff Selingo author of "Who Gets In and Why: A Year Inside College Admissions" spills the tea in our forums and will be answering your questions. Get yours answered now!
Get all the info you need to know to complete the FAFSA during our LIVE webinar Thursday, Sept 24, at 7pm ET. Hear from financial aid experts on deadlines, what documents you will need, and how your info will be used to calculate aid. REGISTER NOW and share your questions.
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Chance Me! from Japan

emykkgwemykkgw 0 replies1 threads New Member
Hi, I am thinking to apply for Harvard.
Here are my stats:

Race : Asian
Nationality : Japanese
If I get in, I will be the first family member to attend Harvard.

SAT : 1510 (800 math, 710 Reading, No essay)
SAT Physics : 780, Math II : 790
High School : I am in the best public school in my prefecture (=state)
GPA : 3.1/5 in sophomore, 4.0/5 in junior, and 4.8/5 in senior's first semester.
When I got in to my high school, I was not fluent in English at all, which led to low grades.
I scored 100+ in TOEFL.
I am an IB student, with a predicted grade of 35+/42

I will apply to financial aid.

I took a gold medal in a scientific olympiad, and was chosen in the national team.
I also play an instrument, and I was the finalist of the National Competition of Art and Music.
I was in the first chair in the school orchestra.
I have done many other extracurricular that are, according to my counselor, "stellar" , but I would like to not mention it here, since there are all unique, and I can be easily identified.
I am sure that the teacher's recommendation letter are good : they all like me.

GPA is my weak point while I am proud of myself being the gold medalist in a scientific olympiad.

Do you think they will reject me because of my GPA? Or will they consider the fact that I did really well in the Olympiad??
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chance Me! from Japan

• DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 6797 replies2 threads Senior Member
    It is very difficult to judge these things. The only way to know for sure is for you to apply and see what happens.

I think that your chances are no better than the overall acceptance rate for international students, and are probably lower. Most international applicants to Harvard will have a significantly higher GPA than you do, and will be very strong in other aspects of their application. As a wild guess I would put your chances as at best 1%.

You definitely need to apply to other schools.

Why do you want to attend Harvard?
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 12056 replies82 threads Senior Member
    Consider doing a music supplement to the application, with a recording, music resume, and letter(s) of recommendation from teacher or director.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 24406 replies2457 threads Super Moderator
    https://hio.harvard.edu/statistics It looks like there are 10 students from Japan at Harvard College. That would come out to 2 or 3 students/year who get in and attend from your country. It is fine to apply but recognize it is a major reach. You will need to seek out additional safety and match level college options that appear affordable and that you would be excited to attend.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43365 replies473 threads Senior Member
    You have a shot, especially if you apply REA and submit a music supplement, but keep in mind it's a very long shot. Build your college list accordingly and include colleges that will provide merit scholarships for your excellent 1510 score (many would be public universities).
    · Reply · Share